Inappropriate Student Paper

Discussion in 'General Education' started by rachaelski, Sep 29, 2009.

1. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Sep 29, 2009

Here's the basic idea of my student's paper...8th grader:

Woody the owl--who is a foot long. Made friends with a mole. He became the first owl to nest in a mole hole.

It is very clear what my student is trying to suggest (I tried to clean it up a bit for you guys). Also, the boy goes into detail about the owl secretly hating the mole and planning bad things to do to the mole. My fiance went a little Freudian with that, saying that the kid has deep seeded sexual issues. Not sure about that, but how would you handle this issue with the kid? Involve the P? Involve the parents?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 29, 2009

Tell him it is an excellent example of an extended metaphor and that you'd like him to write another story without using that device.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 29, 2009

Overextended, I think...

5. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Sep 29, 2009

I would say call it like it is. If the student is likely to acknowledge that he was incorrect and is willing to resolve the issue I would talk to him individually first. If you are pretty sure he will claim innocence I would involve the P in the meeting and address it head on.

6. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Sep 29, 2009

Updaisy, I love how calm and to the point that is! It's my first year at the school, whereas the kid has had a relationship with the P for the past 6 years. I think I am going to share it with her, come up with some ideas, and then talk to the student.

Do I need to talk to the parent about this? AWKWARD!

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 30, 2009

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 30, 2009

That's a hilarious story, Alice!!

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 30, 2009

Call him in for a conference. Be sure there's another adult in the room so what you say can't be twisted. Then say:

"Johnny, I'm concerned about your paper. Both Ms. G. and I have read it, and we agree that it's full of innuendo.

My problem is that I'm not sure of your intentions. Either:

a) You had no idea. In that case, I'm going to have to call your parents in for a conference, have them read the paper, and ask them to please have a long, very explicit chat with you about the facts of life, since apparently you're unaware of the meaning behind what you wrote.

or

b) You're absolutely aware of what you wrote. In that case, you owe me a detention and a letter of apology for the complete lack of respect you showed me, and you have until Monday to redo the assignment correctly.

Which is it?"

Don't get into specifics. If he plays innocent and wants to know which passages you mean, then get all apologetic, and say something along the lines of "Oh, so you really don't know the facts of life?? I'm so sorry for bothering you; I'll call your parents today and we'll get this corrected. No 13 year old should be ignorant of this stuff. You can go and I'll call your parents right now. I can reach them both at work now, right???"

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 30, 2009

I had a student who didn't know we were turning in an assignment. It was to describe yourself or a part of yourself using similes. Well, needless to say, he described a part of himself that I was not interested in learning about! He apologized, and I made him get it signed by his mother, who jokingly indicated that he was perhaps being a bit optimistic with his description. He learned that lesson, I think.

11. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Sep 30, 2009

Ya think he'll be buying a Hummer or some other big car one day to makeup for his... shortcommings? LOL. Love a parent that will joke about it. too funny.

12. holliday

holliday Comrade

Sep 30, 2009

I had students do a media lit/literature project last year where they had to invent a product to sell to the characters in The Hobbit as they left for their journey.

One partner group of boys came up with "Magic Balls" and a little jingle (I've blocked most of it out) but something about "jiggle them to wake them up...pass them from hand to hand..."
    They performed this, mind you, in the library in front of several other classes AND some visiting parents. I was mortified! ALL the kids were screaming with laughter. It was wildly inappropriate. Of course, they were the one group I hadn't had the chance to conference with before presentation time...
    They tried to claim innocence, too, but with all those witnesses, it was pretty hard to play dumb.
    Kids...

13. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Sep 30, 2009

Gotta love the kiddos! I met with my principal. I did a hybrid of Alice's advice and my principals. I told him I was 28, not 82 and I still get the sexual suggestions. I told him it was inappropriate for my class (content wise and development wise). He was a little embarrassed...but managed to share the paper with the rest of the 8th grade before the end of the day.