Inappropriate Sexual Touching

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by Canadian Gal, Dec 15, 2009.

1. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2010

In Ontario, sexual harassment is covered under the Ontario Human Rights Code--so there are laws in place against it.

2. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 18, 2010

I'm very sorry you've had to place your job at risk, Canada Gal, but I applaud your courage for doing what needs to be done. There have been several good suggestions from different members so far. There are only a couple of things I can think of to add.

1) If your district has a School Resource Officer (or something similar), have that person (preferably a male) come to your class and explain the consequences that could be faced for what is going on.

2) Since it's a situation of "he said/she said", put a video camera in your room to document student behavior. When parents or admin claim it isn't really happening, you will have the proof that it is.

3) I completely agree with enlisting the parents of the girls to help in this situation. Complaints from parents often carry more weight with admin. Yes, it will probably turn ugly, but since you already have one of the boys' parents complaining constantly, that needs to be offset with parents of the victims complaining. I would think (and hope) that most parents would be furious over their daughters being treated this way. Call the parents, explain what is happening and advise them of the actions you have taken. Then add that your actions will accomplish very little. Real change comes when parents get involved. It would be nice if you could "plant the seed" for parents calling admin without telling them directly to do it. It would also help for them to know the more parents involved, the more seriously admin will take it. They need to talk with each other and come together in a show of force

I pray this can be accomplished without affecting your job, but I admire the fact you are willing to risk your job to do what is right. :thumb:

No matter what happens, you can be assured the girls will always remember you stood up for them when nobody else would.

3. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jan 18, 2010

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww................ I hate, hate, hate this for you. This is exactly the type of injustice that runs off good teachers. If you can hang in there, please do. The idea that because it has always been done (boys being boys) does not negate the fact that the behavior is unacceptable by today's standards. Unfortunately, you seem to be working with someone who has lost their way and perhaps their own moral compass. I hope you can persevere as right should be victorious over wrong. Why doesn't that parent request his kid be transferred to another class? Can you ask for help from someone with more power (higher up than the sup)? Can the girls speak up or are they too conditioned to accept that or afraid of the consequences? I applaud your willingness to be an advocate for justice. It is my earnest hope and prayer that you will be able to "win the day" for those children and for your school as well. Please keep us apprised. This breaks my heart. I wish I could help you. I wonder what would happen if it were put on YouTube or if an anonymous call were made to the school board or a local TV station? Surely something can be done. You get teacher of the year in my book!

4. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Jan 21, 2010

Mrs. C - we have no laws against sexual harrassment in Saskatchewan. Only workplace health and safety regulations. They unfortunately do not cover students. The only laws wer have are under the Criminal Code of Canada, and they are harassment laws.

I am done at the end of this year. I have a job offer for a non-teaching related billingual position, and I will take that. I may be done teaching within the next six weeks (the time I have to give notice) if they want me ASAP.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 22, 2010

Canadian Gal, that's so great that you already have something else lined up so quickly! It's just a shame & frustsrating that while you've moved onto working another job, these male students will probably barely get a slap on the wrist if that & will continue to be harassing female students & probably laughing about how they got you outta there. Those stupid pigs.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2010

It really is unfortunate when laws about harassment don't extend to cover students--the school is their workplace and they deserve to feel safe. I know that your decisions were very difficult ones to make, but I'm glad that you stood up for your girls; unfortunately, when the boys get older, the "old boys club" won't always be able to protect them so easily.

Good luck with your new position.

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 31, 2010

The idea of no protection from sexual harrassment seemed horrible to me, so I did a little research. This document clearly states that everyone is protected from sexual harrassment. It states all areas where it is not allowed, and schools top the list. Hopefully this situation has been resolved by now.

http://www.shrc.gov.sk.ca/pdfs/sexualharassment-Webversion.pdf

8. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Feb 6, 2010

Not resolved.

I'm on sick leave (due to stress) and since I lack tenure, I have essentially kissed my job goodbye.

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 7, 2010

I'm so sorry Canadian Gal:hugs:

Come to Cowtown -- they usually give you your continuous contract after your first year. You have so much to offer, I'm sure they will grab you!

10. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Feb 7, 2010

Cowtown = Calgary?

As someone south of the border, I'm guessing from the association with the Stampede.

11. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 7, 2010

:lol: yes, I was talking about Calgary.

12. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Feb 7, 2010

I've applied to Cowtown every year I've been out. I keep getting courtesy interviews, but nothing more. I'd kill to go back to So-Al at this point though.

13. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 7, 2010

Which is odd since they go to Ontario every year to find teachers. I've been trying to move a further bit up north and I can't even get an interview even though I have almost 15 years of experience in special ed.. I figure that I cost too much to be hired.

14. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Feb 8, 2010

Well I am pretty much giving up right now. I'll go work for the feds... I am bilingual,so they should have something for me, with better job security and less crap.

15. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Apr 3, 2010

Canadian_Gal, how are you doing?

Were you able to find a new job? I didn't comment in this thread but I was following it. I hope all is well.

16. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Apr 4, 2010

If your school administration won't help, go about their heads and go to the parents and have them RAISE HELL!! I don't have any children of my own but if she were my daughter I would immediately take action. The boys' parents need to be contacted. They may not even know what is going on either!!

I can't not believe that there are no sexual harrassment laws. Have you tried to separate the boys and girls from each other with a seating chart if you are having issues within your classroom? If they can't be near each other than no physical contact can be made.

We had a situation 2 years ago with a special needs 5th grade boy exposing himself at church to some of his classmates. He was transferred to another school soon after. It was in his best interest and the girl's best interest that they not be at teh same school.