Inappropriate dress...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ecteach, Sep 19, 2013.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Sep 19, 2013

I am not a prude by any means. But, there are some teachers at my school who dress so inappropriately that I almost barf in my mouth when I see them. :eek:hmy: It really turns my stomach. The best two instances this school year were the woman who wore what looked like a long t-shirt as a dress with cowboy boots, and the other woman who wore a skin tight white dress with a black thong underneath. How do I know she was wearing a black thong? The same way everyone did-we saw it through the dress.

We got talked to at the beginning meeting this year about dress. But, it never does any good. What in the world would a teacher want to come to school looking like a street walker for? IT'S NASTY! PUT ON SOME CLOTHES!

Rant over.

3. BookReader813

BookReader813 Companion

Sep 19, 2013

I'd speak up about it. Tell the principal you are concerned about how some of your colleagues are dressing. I would hope that the principal would do something about it...in a discreet manner, of course.

4. live

live Companion

Sep 19, 2013

Ick! I'll never forget when a teacher came to school wearing black leggings that had cutouts all the way up the sides of the legs. She was wearing them as pants!

The white dress with a black thong is toooo much...did she not look in the mirror?!

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 19, 2013

I was at a PD & a teacher who works at a sister school was wearing a white skirt with an orange thong.

We actually just had a meeting on this. Our Dean told us that she didn't want to see bra straps.

We have a couple of teachers who just don't dress professionally. Too casual for our school.

6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 20, 2013

In my current school I've had to accept that there is a different culture and it is more "normal" to dress flashy and showy. I never come to school in anything shorter than pants, anything tighter than a little baggy, and anything smaller than short sleeved shirts.

But I remember in the USA on "superhero day" one female teacher came in dressed as Catwoman. Full black spandex, thigh-high black boots, plunging neckline, and a whip.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2013

That type of dress might be considered 'normal' for different cultures; however, as teachers, I think we need to dress above what is normal. Even if I thought I could pull that off, I would NEVER wear that to a school!! I have seen some questionable outfits on teachers in every district I've worked in. I'm now in a district where the super is very traditional, but yet I still see teachers who dress in tight clothes, low necklines, etc. I myself could never do that.

8. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 20, 2013

I would politely and discreetly tell the teacher with the sheer dress. I very much doubt she knew you could see her underwear when she left the house.

I honestly very rarely see teachers wearing something I would consider inappropriate. The only common culprits are men that are too casual and skirts that I think are too short for elementary grades where students sit on the ground in front of you. I'm not doubting that others do see lots of inappropriate dress, just that it doesn't happen much at the school where I work. At other schools, I have seen teachers who are very casually dressed and look unprofessional, but not inappropriate.

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 20, 2013

If a teacher is casually dressed and looks unprofessional aren't they then inappropriate for the environment? Just asking. In my opinion, for our school environment I would say yes that outfit is inappropriate for work.

10. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 20, 2013

Sure, but it's not the same kind of inappropriate that OP is talking about. There's a difference between wearing something that's too casual and your underwear showing. I should have used a different word than inappropriate (suggestive? revealing?) in my last sentence, because I did place both issues in the inappropriate category before that.

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 20, 2013

Got it!

12. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Sep 20, 2013

:) Inappropriate in the Casual sense = I'm going to the park and grilling hamburgers

Inappropriate in the revealing sense = I plan on hitting the club after school today

Definitely a difference :)

13. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Sep 20, 2013

Actually, this is not a problem I've seen at my school. :) The thing that shocked me most was seeing teachers wearing jeans when it wasn't Friday.

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 20, 2013

No one has worn anything really inappropriate this year (against dress code, yes; but nothing shocking).

But, oh, how I long to tell women around my age or a bit younger of the miracle garment called a Half Slip, which works wonders with dresses and skirts on windy days.

15. Ted

Ted Habitué

Sep 20, 2013

Is that school hiring?

What?

:whistle:

16. Ted

Ted Habitué

Sep 20, 2013

I've found that the more professionally I dress, the more respectfully I'm treated (by parents, colleagues, etc.)

Maybe that's just a fluke...but that's what I have noticed.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 20, 2013

At my new workplace, there's no time to be cute & stylish. Everyone (men & women) just wears their jeans & sneakers everyday. What we all need to be wearing are bullet-proof vests (I'm not kidding.)

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2013

Have there been shootings at your school, Ms I? Scary!

19. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Sep 20, 2013

Ms I do you have a dress code? I know someone who works at a school like yours and they have to wear pants everyday, no earrings other than posts, no scarves, no loose clothing, etc. this is all in case the students attack. Puts a different perspective on dress code that's for sure!

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 20, 2013

sue35, no dress code. The TAs (teacher aides) I see around there wear their jeans as baggy & low as the students. The gal who works in the cafeteria has fake nails that are about 2 inches long. This is a mom & pop run school who are lucky to have anyone work for them. The last thing on their mind is the dress code.

21. Harper

Harper Companion

Sep 20, 2013

I thought I was the only one!! I am astonished that some of my teacher-friends wear the same clothes I do, but don't own a slip!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  22. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Sep 21, 2013

I have such a hard time finding a half slip that is short enough! There are not a lot of places that have half slips and when I find them they are too long (I am on the shorter side). I went to Nordstrom and only found two.

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

24. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Sep 21, 2013

Thanks Alice! I don't have a JCPenny near me but I can order one that looks short enough. I had a teacher in elementary school who had her slip showing every single day. We were too scared of her to tell her. I always think of that.

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2013

26. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2013

I've been wearing plaid golf shorts on most days. Is that a problem?

27. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 21, 2013

I so need to go buy more slips. I looked at one the other day, but I didn't know what length I needed.

28. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 21, 2013

I never wear slips. I wear spanx sometimes. Most of my dresses and skirts come to my knees. If they're slightly shorter, I wear tights.

29. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 21, 2013

I don't understand how people wear dresses/skirts without slips. The static alone is enough of a reason!

30. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 21, 2013

I only wear slips if I think something might be a little sheer. They feel cumbersome and I don't really experience static that I can think of. I don't wear a lot of skirts/dresses though, and I never wear them to work unless they're maxi skirts. I tend to sit on the ground with the kids.

31. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Sep 21, 2013

I didn't even know you could still buy slips.

32. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 21, 2013

My dresses/skirts don't have static? At least I've never had a problem! I've never even owned a slip!

33. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2013

I didn't either! A lot of the dresses I own have built-in linings if the material is thin.

34. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2013

You guys never have your skirt blown up and out in the wind?

I always wear one. I don't trust the lining that comes in the skirts - it never seems to stand up the sunlight test.

35. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Sep 21, 2013

I bought 2 slips the other day for the first time in my life. This was after I saw the black thong. I immediately wondered if anyone could ever see my drawers. lol!!! Now, I am super paranoid. But, in my case, they'd see granny drawers!

36. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Sep 21, 2013

It depends whether they are long enough to hide your thong. HA HA!!!:p

37. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 21, 2013

Chebrutta, I don't wear flowy type skirts and dresses. Mine are made of thick material and hang straight. They're not tight but they're not loose. If I'm worried about it, I wear my black spanx. I only have one dress that even sort of moves in the wind though.

I buy most of my stuff at New York and Co.

38. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Sep 21, 2013

I always wear slips. Maybe some of us are naturally more electric? :p My dresses always ride up with the friction from my stockings without a slip.

39. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Sep 21, 2013

Maybe the material I use is different, but I've never had static ?? Well except in my hair during the winter---I hate winter BTW.

40. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2013

Ah. That makes more sense!

I've just seen an awful lot more than I should on a windy day out in the bus loading zone :eek: Flowy is more the norm down here.

41. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2013

I think those of us not wearing slips are likely not wearing hose either... I don't wear them and I've never had static.

As far as skirts blowing up, sure I've had them poof out a little in the wind but not enough to see anything.