Inappropriate Dress

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pacificpastime, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2011

I think this is a great idea and I forgot to mention it. I myself get clothes from Old Navy online about twice per year in these massively huge orders. I'm not much of a shopper, so getting 10 shirts and 7 pairs of pants all at once is a big deal to me. And since I always buy on clearance, I usually only end up paying around 100 bucks for the whole lot of it.

Old Navy has a really easy return procedure, so it's never been a problem for me to order online. Most of what I order from there fits me perfectly, but every now and then something is a little off and needs to be returned.

I'm also a big fan of wearing camis and tanks under shirts that might be a little low cut. They provide a lot of security that my girls won't be falling out while I'm leaning over helping a student (oh, the horror...can you even imagine?!?!). Plus they can provide a fun pop of color here and there. I also like when they're a little lower than the bottom hem of my shirt, to help prevent my midriff from showing.

I'm a firm believer in the rule that your clothes should cover your midsection at all times, even when stretching your arms way up into the air and bending over all the way. If your shirt comes up or your pants come down, you need to change.

2. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jan 20, 2011

I have been DYING to order online from Old Navy!! Can you return clothes that do not work for you in stores or just mail order?

I love their khakis but will likely need new sizes or styles once the baby is born and my body morphs into a new shape. :)

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2011

Some of the clothes can be returned in the store, but some can't. I shop mostly the plus sizes, and most of that stuff can only be returned via mail.

4. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jan 20, 2011

It's a matter of answering the question, "Where are my priorities; in the classroom or social life?" You do not have to sacrifice one for the other but you do need to clearly define whether your money and efforts are better spent investing in your career (including how you dress, your professionalism, etc.) or enjoying time with your friends.

I have a social life and a school life. I have 1 central wardrobe. I tend to layer, a lot. I can pull out a sweater, pair it with a button-down and I'm ready for school, put a cami and I'm ready for a casual weekend with friends, no tank and I'm good to go for the night. Invest in pieces that compliment other items in your wardrobe. If you buy one piece that stands alone, you get 1 outfit out of that piece but if you can mix-and-match, you can change your look dramatically.

Eddie Bauer has great professional pants with an expandable waistband (no, not stretchy like the "mom jeans" you're probably imagining). They are flat front but they give you a bit of room to bend over without anything inappropriate showing. Sort of like the no-gap waitbands on some jeans. With a change of shoes, these pants can be made more casual or dressed-up.

Tanks and t-shirts are great to give you several looks inexpensively. I have a few cardigans but my total number of "outfits" increases dramatically when I consider all of the combos I can put together with different tees/tanks. Of course these 1st-layers also help your appearance be more polished and can keep you from "falling out."

I think in the past 2 years, I've gone through this same identity crisis. I'm not a teen anymore (several years removed) and I shouldn't necessarily be picking my outfit out of the junior's section. Stepping across the aisle into misses can be scary and sure, some of the clothes are too matronly for my tastes but, I don't have to buy them. There are plenty of professional looking pieces that you can get in this section that will make you look polished. To top it off, they're normally made with better quality than the teen area.

My go to stores; Gap (more casual, "Friday" wear to me but great layering pieces), Banana Republic, Ann Taylor (sometimes this get's too matronly for me so I have to search out deals and pieces I know will fit in my wardrobe), Eddie Bauer, Target (for everday essentials), Eddie Bauer

5. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jan 20, 2011

I swear by these.

http://missoops.com/miss-oops/boob-tube-solid

I have one in every color and wear one most days. I have a body type that make it necessary to wear one of these with even high rise v-neck things. As for work clothes, I wear mostly Anthropologie (on sale) with some J. Crew mixed in. I also almost always wear skirts. I am one of the few younger teachers that I see that does not wear tight shirts, but that is also my personality.