Inappropriate Dress

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pacificpastime, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Jan 12, 2011

Hello everyone at PT. At my school we have a young teacher who teaches 2nd grade. She likes to dress to emphasize her figure, with lowcut or tight outfits. I think this is unnecessary and unprofessional. I am unsure how to handle the situation. I do not want to ask other teachers opinion because I do not want to start unnecessary rumors. Personally I have no problem with her. I just do not feel it is appropriate for a an elementary learning environment. I coud really use some advice on this one. Thanks in advance.

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2011

Hahah, you mean, "hello everyone at AZ" FTFY :D

Well, I personally wouldn't get involved. At all of the schools I've worked at, there was always that one teacher who had to wear the skin tight, high skirt, low cut outfits (and throw in some animal print high knee boots too!)

I say, leave it to the admin (or the parents) to bring it up to her.

ETA: this question reminded me of a comic strip I did last year. MAAAAAN I need to get back into making more comic strips. Bad me! :p

4. renmew

renmew Rookie

Jan 12, 2011

Yeah, in my case it is the 8th grade teacher (school is preK -8) who dresses like that. I figure it is the principal's job, not mine.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2011

Yep.

6. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jan 12, 2011

We are supposed to talk to our fellow teachers if we see a dress code violation. I don't agree with it. Let admin. take care of it.

7. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jan 12, 2011

It is the administrators job to speak to the fellow teacher. If you were to speak to the teacher you could get in trouble for harassing the teacher.

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 13, 2011

Yep, not your place. Probably won't change unless parents get riled.

9. H2H

H2H Rookie

Jan 13, 2011

I have to agree with Peachyness and the rest of the group. It is an admin./contract issue. Most likely, there are no defined guidelines concerning dress code in your contract, which is a good thing since 99% of teachers do dress appropriately for their position and there is no need to open that can of worms. If it's not distracting her students then there's no real issue.

10. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jan 13, 2011

same here, she teaches 8th grade. She makes her co-teacher uncomfortable, but the co-teacher is not saying anything. She feels its up to Admin too.

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 13, 2011

I'm much too busy to worry about what another teacher is/isn't wearing. I must admit, though--there are times when I cringe when I walk past a particular teacher at my school (I'm certain that she thinks she's 50-75 lbs thinner than she truly is)! YIKES!

Anyway, I agree with all the previous members.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 13, 2011

I cringe a lot when I see what people wear to work. There is a group of younger teachers who wear the same style shirts. They feel the need to wear everything skin tight. Oddly enough, I don't view the pants/skirts being too tight as much of a problem as the shirts. Maybe it's just me. I think it looks totally unprofessional. The problem is that nothing like that is stated in the dress code.

13. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Jan 13, 2011

I agree also but I disagree that 99% of teachers dress appropriately. As a male in education I have always felt kind of wronged when it came to dress codes from day one in a school. Guys are stuck in wearing slacks and either a polo or button up shirt. Unless you are a coach then you can apparently wear your pajamas. Hair for the most part must be short. But women can have thousands of styles of hair, dresses,skirts, pants, etc. Even as a para I always felt extremely overdressed. It looked like most of the female teachers were ready to go for a day of shopping rather than going to work. I also rarely see belts being worn so especially when dealing with little kids there was a lot of crouching and showing your business all over the place.

So compared to the places I have been I am surprised that there is only one teacher like that. I would say just do not say anything and hope for an administrator who will care and try to intervene. But if you say anything it may come back to you and you dont want that kind of backlash.

14. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

Jan 13, 2011

I completely understand the inappropriate dress issue; however, I, being a younger teacher, find it very difficult to find a happy medium between what looks professional (and would be appropriate in an all adult setting) and what is school appropriate and not "teacher clothes" (you know the sweaters, slacks or long skirts, and sneakers, [insert your own typical teacher image]) - Not that this is a bad thing; it's just not for me. Maybe someday though!! :blush:.
    I am a bit bustier than many, but not big everywhere and to find something that hides the ladies , is professional, and is not "old lady" is super difficult (esp. since I live around limited options for clothing stores - JCPennys and Maurices). All the "professional" clothes that I think are cute, have to be a size too big to cover up, and then I feel frumpy all day. I know it doesn't matter what you look like, as long as your teaching is up to par, but when you feel frumpy, you also don't feel professional (if parents, admin, etc. visit your room).

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2011

Your clothes don't have to be too big. Ill-fitting clothes of any kind aren't professional-looking.

Places like Gap and Old Navy have "younger" styles that are great for younger teachers. I wear a lot of their khaki pants (in pretty much every color) and a regular knit top. I keep a sweater/cardigan in my classroom because it is usually cold. I don't feel like I look like an old lady or frumpy, but I also know that no one would ever accuse me of dressing provocatively at work.

16. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

Jan 13, 2011

I get a lot of my work clothes at Old Navy and Gap, too. - My problem is the closest one is an hour and a half away, and I have to try on much of my clothes before buying. That's one good thing about subbing: I can wear the same clothes in the same week because I'm in different buildings!!:whistle:
    What is cute (via advertised as professional) is not geared toward teachers. We just have to mix and match to find that professional look that works in the classroom for us. I still catch myself falling into the "comfortable" teacher look sometimes at the end of a long week - eeek!

17. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Jan 13, 2011

We had one a few years ago that had this problem. She would wear those sweats you get from Vicky's Secret that have stuff written on the butt. She would then complain to the other teachers that the kids were looking at her butt. She also started dressing like that Brittany Spear's video where she is a school girl (?!?!), complete with the thigh highs. She had to take a leave of absence for her special doctor appointments.

18. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

Jan 13, 2011

Woah!!:eek: What did she not know that there were WORDS on her butt?? If you have words somewhere, people will READ them!! This was a teacher? Sometimes cases like this make me wonder if people who go through teaching courses have ever actually been in a school and looked around. lol

19. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 13, 2011

What do guys want to wear? I mean, what else is there? Women have more clothing choices, but isn't that true for life in general?

20. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

Jan 13, 2011

I had a prof. who wore a suit and bowtie EVERY day. Well, except the 1st day of class; Then, he wore his scholar robe and cap :). If you've ever seen a Harry Wong video, he "dresses for success" lol! Male teacher could wear suits/ jackets/etc. You know, just to give their wardrobe more options!!

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 13, 2011

I wouldn't want a teacher to feel "frumpy" but it is apparent that some young teachers have not updated their college wardrobe. What they wore to class in college does not translate well to a work environment. Of course I don't know what people wear in other schools but that's how it is where I work.
    In regards to the original question, I would not say anything about the innappropriate clothing. If the administration hasn't caught it then shame on them.

22. hzminda

hzminda Rookie

Jan 13, 2011

:thumb: Loved your comic strip Peachyness :lol:

M.H.

23. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2011

There are two at my school that just make me laugh. They are both sweet people, but holy fashion mistake! You do not look good in that short dress with those thigh-high boots, sister! And while I'm sure you keep the kids attention when you wear those tight low-cut sweaters, hot mama, but some of your 3rd graders are not thinking about math when they gaze at you.

Let it go. Not your place. It's one of the more delightful jobs of an administrator. Think of it as payback for all the busy work he/she gives you. They get to discuss appropriate attire with someone! :) Right, Tiffany??

24. Mrs_A

Mrs_A New Member

Jan 13, 2011

:toofunny: Your comic strip is hilarious Peachy!

25. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jan 13, 2011

My favorite is the teacher that wears the plaid pleated skirt with a matching tight sweater and mary jane shoes! LOL

26. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 13, 2011

Leave it to admin. They don't pay you enough to deal with that.

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2011

To the OP....Ditto what everyone else has said. This is not your responsibility.

28. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jan 13, 2011

+1
    You got a good bead on it.

29. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jan 14, 2011

As the PE teacher that does not wear pajamas to school (but whatever is comfortable outside) I have to admit (dog that I am)
    that at least those teachers that wear the inappropriate clothing gives me something to look forward to once in awhile.:whistle:

30. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 14, 2011

:toofunny:

31. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 14, 2011

In our school it would be up to the grade level rep to speak to that person. If it did not change, then the principal would be the one to call them in.

As a bigger girl, I also have a hard time finding clothes that are suited for my age and taste. I detest anything with capped sleeves, and of course everything is made to show off certain features that I like to keep covered up. I've just learned to wear a nice tank under things so I'm not showing off anything. I am really fortunate to work at a school where the principal doesn't care if we wear jeans or slacks. She has stated that she knows we get messy with the kids, and as long as it's decent she is fine with it (no holey jeans, low cut shirts, or high cut skirts/shorts). If any of us wear t-shirts or sweatshirts, they have a school logo or our high school logo on them. We like to support our high school, so often you will see us wearing items with their logo on game days. Same with the Razorbacks. It's not uncommon for the school to wear these shirts on specific game days. Our men in the building (there are only 4) dress in the same way. Casual when they need to be, and dressy when they feel like it.
    I remember my entire first year of teaching (and even in student teaching at the same school). I would not wear jeans at all, and wore skirts a lot. Now I don't wear skirts very often, and wear jeans about once a week (more if we're doing really messy science units). It is hard to find a pair of nice jeans though. I looked for 4 months before I could find a pair that wasn't too low, too faded, or had any holes in it.

32. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 14, 2011

I also must admit: I do wear pj's one day out of the year!

Polar Express Day!

33. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 14, 2011

Hmmm, is this some sort of reddit reference??? Is this good? :D

34. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jan 14, 2011

Not a very good excuse......it's pretty simple, dont' show cleavage, don't have writing on your shirt or pants, dress in slacks or khaki pants, don't wear pants where when you bend over you see your underwear or butt crack, don't wear see through shirts or pants and don't wear halter tops. Basically you need to have 2 wardrobes: 1) for going out , 2) for work.

35. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2011

Auter, can you buy things from Old Navy or Gap online? I'm a younger teacher (28) and that's where I pretty much buy all of my work and non-work clothes at (and throw in some Ann Taylor and Target).

36. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2011

Find sizes and brands that fit you, then order them online.

Invest in tanks and T's you can wear under anything that shows cleavage. Then buy the size that fits.

Have your clothes tailored, if necessary, to ensure proper fit.

With internet access, the old "there are no good stores near me" thing simply doesn't fly. Anyone who can find clothes that look UNprofessional can find professional clothes. It may take more time or effort if you live in a part of the country where choices are limited, but the clothes are out there.

37. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jan 15, 2011

Just saying I second the quoted comment. I guess I should've said +2 then.

38. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

Jan 17, 2011

I know this about no cleavage, butt crack, etc. - that's pretty obvious, and I don't wear inappropriate clothes to work. AND I'm not defending the clothing of the inappropriate dresser from the original post. I'm just saying, that, as someone who likes to look professional at work, AND has limited options of clothing store in my area, it's sometimes tough to find appropriate attire that is ALSO cute/professional and targeted toward my age group. I always say that when you go to JCPenny, there is a teeny bopper section and then an older lady section, but there really isn't an in between. Also, Maurices is the only other clothing store in my area - the younger teachers tend to end up wearing the same thing sometimes:lol:

YES, I do find "classroom ready" clothes - it's not impossible ; however, I don't generally like to order online unless I've been to a store and know my size/ how it will fit. Once I know how certain types/brands will fit, I'll go ahead and order online.

This is a matter for administration to address. There could even be subtle hints to possible solutions to the dress issue, BUT there is a fine line in a work environment between a subtle hint to dress appropriate and offensiveness or even harrassment. BE CAREFUL how you go about this!! :)

39. shirld

shirld Rookie

Jan 20, 2011

I have to agree with you about wearing a tank underneath so nothing can show... makes life so much easier!

40. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jan 20, 2011

Hmm.. maybe our JC Penney is larger than yours because I'm in a big city, but I find awesome professional clothes there that are neither in the junior section or anything I'd consider being too old for me. (I'm 32).

Check out some of their styles online -- especially if you know your sizes there. They also have a great petite section, too!!!

Also... they're online ordering rocks. I ordered almost all my maternity clothes online as their in store maternity section is limited!! Sooo much more affordable than motherhood and mimi.

41. SPECIALEDMAN

SPECIALEDMAN Companion

Jan 20, 2011

I wouldn’t worry about it…Younger females wear trendy and current clothes, all of which are cut slimmer/smaller and fitted. I get your reasoning behind the idea that if you buy clothes in your size that you would actually wear outside of the house they are likely to be of this style. Don’t rush out to buy the frumpy Christmas sweaters and Ked tennis shoes just yet. Trends change and every new generation has to take the heat from the previous generation. So glad I’m a guy and only get resented and talked about because all the Mrs. Crabtree’s say that I’m “being groomed to be the next Principal”.