Inappropriate conduct? (I posted this on new teacher but this might be better place?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by tracieteaches, Apr 22, 2005.

1. tracieteaches

tracieteaches Companion

Apr 22, 2005

About a month ago I interviewed with an elementary principal for a substitute position and I was hired as a sub, not a leave replacement but more or less just a formality interview that if you have filed all necessary paperwork then you pretty much are put on sub roster. I was told that day that there probably wouldn't be any openings for next year - - that the two they had would be filled with transfers or from long-term subs who were already working in the district. When I started subbing last week, I did indeed find out that the two full-time openings that were posted had already been filled by long term substitutes. Since I sensed a good rapport with the principal, I dropped off my portfolio at the office asking her if she could give me some feedback on it. Again, I truly thought there would not be any regular openings for next year. She sent it back a few days later whenever I returned to sub -- no comments or feedback of any kind. I get home from subbing at that same school today, and there is a message on my machine that interviews are to be held April 29. Have I acted inappropriately? Have I knocked myself out of the running for a real job? Should I contact the principal and tell her that I would not have done this had I known she would be interviewing after all.

3. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

Apr 22, 2005

At this point, I would wait until the official interview to communicate your situation to the principal. It could just be a case of the principal not wanting to show favoritism to anyone before the "official" time for interviews. It doesn't sound like you've made any huge mistake. Just explain that you weren't aware there would be a specific date set for interviews and you were just wanting some feedback from someone you respect. I can't imagine that this would affect your future hiring in the district as long as your work history looks good.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2005

Who left the message on you rmachine? If you got the message from the school, it seems like they may be interested in talking to you- did you get an interview? Don't know about your dictrict, but in mine portfolios really don't carry as much weight as the interview itself....they udually gie the portfolios a cursory glance at best

5. tracieteaches

tracieteaches Companion

Apr 23, 2005

The message was left by one of the secretaries I am unfamiliar with from the principal's office. I think I am overreacting with nervousness. I am really very excited.

6. sandimreyes

sandimreyes Comrade

Apr 23, 2005

Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounds like GOOD news to me. From the way I read it, there ARE openings now and they interested in interviewing you. I would think that it might just be from looking at your portfolio. It seems to me that you did a GOOD thing by asking her to view it and that she was impressed enough by it to call you in for an interview. If she thought you had acted inappropriately, I don't think she'd have asked the secretary to call you. Unless there is more to the story, I'd stop worrying and start preparing to knock her socks off at the interview! :D

Congratulations!

7. tracieteaches

tracieteaches Companion

Apr 24, 2005

I am sure that you are right. I overreacted Friday out of pure nervousness and delight! I have been preparing since I got the message and will be completely crazy until Friday 2:00!