Inappropriate comment/ weird class dynamics

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TamiJ, Feb 21, 2009.

1. SuperBug!

SuperBug! Rookie

Feb 24, 2009

Wow Momzoid, it sounds as if your administration is WAY too involved in the every day stuff. If my admins were like that, I would get NOTHING done!

I just see this whole issue as one word: multitasking. If I didn't multitask, I would have to give up large amounts of personal time and I won't do it. My husband is only home on weekends, I'm not going to waste time with him by working on school stuff. I come in 1 hour before my first class, I work through my lunch, and I multitask throughout the day. And because of this, I still have a life, which is what a teacher needs to stay mentally healthy!

2. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Feb 24, 2009

I do come in an hour before, but I cannot work during lunch. I am required to eat with the kids. I tried grading papers during that time but I need to eat too!:lol:. We are getting harassed by the central office people- not the principal. He was okay with how we did lesson plans. So now we have "non" teachers coming in and telling us to write these LONG and VERY detailed lesson plans. My principal has been great, he knows that this is a pain in the you know what. But it is another hoop to jump through. The person who is forcing us to do this is supposed to be coming to a faculty meeting tomorrow. Maybe she will back out like she did last week. I heard it was to give us a cooling off time. I DON'T THINK SO!:D Several of us are still working on this weeks lesson plans:whistle:

3. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 24, 2009

If I may just jump into the most current argument...

I teach kindergarten, and I even find time to sit during the day and check my email when the kids are in the room. I'm trying to teach them to be more independent, so I will often give directions and go to my desk while they begin working. I will either look ahead to what we're doing next, check my email, write a quick note to a parent, etc. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. There isn't enough time in the day to get everything done during short little prep times.

Plus, I pretty much HAVE to check my email every hour or so. One day I received an email between lunch recess (12:15) and afternoon recess (1:40) telling me that afternoon recess would be outdoors. Well, I didn't check my email so I had my kids begin indoor recess. All of a sudden, I noticed the other K classes heading outside, all bundled up! If I would have taken a second to check my email I would have noticed this. From now on I check it about every hour. I just keep it open at all times and peek over at my monitor. I don't think it's unprofessional at all.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 24, 2009

I check my e-mail at lest 3 or 4 times a day. We go to lunch AND specials with the students. Once in a while we will get a few minutes without students but it's very rare. As long as we're not checking our facebook or personal e-mail accounts there is no problem.

5. MrsOrion

MrsOrion Rookie

Feb 24, 2009

I don't think that was necessary for him to tell her that. Generalizing for them is not always a good thing.

6. Arky

Arky Comrade

Feb 24, 2009

I have had to use classtime to do just as you said. I still take home work!! I still spend too many hours on the computer writing lesson plans and looking up lessons for the many standards I have to teach. Please don't ever judge someone unless you have walked in their shoes.

His comment was out of line.

7. Arky

Arky Comrade

Feb 24, 2009

Me too! I already put in enough hours at home. I carry professional books with me to restaurants as well as papers to grade. I have to do some of these things during the day or I would never get them all done. Oh, I also get to school at 6:00 everyday. Our contract time is 8.

8. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Feb 24, 2009

Well you all must be fortunate. I teach second grade and have 22 students. All I have to do is sit at my computer and the pencil/eraser/crayon/paper wad/airplane throwing, name calling, talking about the mamas, etc. happens. All @#$$ breaks loose when I am not walking around the classroom supervising. And I can see from my computer what is happening. I have more boys than girls and it does not matter where I move them, new problems start. And please don't ask about the parents. They tell the kids to hit back and hit hard! The students do not care about rewards and punishment only gives them attention they are craving. I'm not asking for help but I agree with Arky-you don't know my classroom. You might be able to do these things during instructional time, I simply can't. Not with my class.

9. Arky

Arky Comrade

Feb 24, 2009

Momzoid, your classroom sounds like mine. I have 25 students, 19 boys!! I work at a low income school. Behavior problems everywhere! Getting them to pay attention and care is a major issue. We are also the first grade to determine whether or not our school will go on school improvement because of the NCLB act. Our admin is also giving us lots of pressure and expecting detailed lesson plans with all the standards listed. WE have a team meeting each week to discuss the professional book they have given us to read each week or to ask what we are doing to help our low performing students do better. It is about to drive me crazy!!!!!!!!

10. Southernese

Southernese Rookie

Feb 25, 2009

I teach high school. For me, some days I do lecture, and some days I do individual or group activities. On the latter days, I'm at my desk most of the time. Now, I used to patrol the classroom, but I found that students became too needy--they relied on my brain more than theirs. Now, instead of wasting that time, I put it to good use by grading papers and writing lesson plans. The best part is, I now stay ahead and work doesn't mount up on me.

11. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Feb 25, 2009

Akry-are you sure you are not down the hall from me? I had to double check where you are from. It sounds like we are carbon copies of each other. We also had the behavior management book to read and use. What a joke! Although my kids won't test, I still have to prepare them. I am growing more resentful every day at the stuff that is being dumped on us with no time to do it in the workday.

12. queenie

queenie Groupie

Mar 3, 2009

:eek: :wow: Can I join your fan club? :lol: