Inappropriate Comment Apparently

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Bumble, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Mar 4, 2010

Ok today our P came in to my room to check if I had all of my stuff up, which is not a big deal. He noticed broken desks and asked me why they were there. I said, "well since you are here we can remove them." He took it as me forcing him to move them. I've been asking the custodians to remove them and haven't gotten anywhere. We just got a new P a few weeks ago. I didn't get any response from the former P when I told him about the broken desks.

He called me out on the comment as "inappropriate". I felt so nervous the rest of the day and still do. I am fearing a write up or at least blacklisted. My coworkers told me write ups are no big deal, but I don't have tenure yet. I guess I could have worded the comment differently, but I've been so stressed lately. I get NO support as a new teacher. They expect so much, which is okay, but at least give me some help. To be honest, I don't know how I made it this far without any help. Do I have anything to worry about?

3. CanukTeach

CanukTeach Companion

Mar 4, 2010

I would just talk to him. Tell him you are sorry if your comment came across as rude but you were really just assuming that since he asked, he was willing to help and that you were frustrated because you have been asking to get the desk moved for X time without anything happening. I can't imagine being written up for being a bit too abrupt with a P.

4. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Mar 4, 2010

I'm not familiar with your school, but I can't imagine a write up over that! You said he was new. Maybe, once he gets to know you, he'll have a better sense of how things are meant.

5. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Mar 4, 2010

I talked to him and that is when he said it was inappropriate. I'm just getting so frustrated with the changes. This is our 3rd P this year! My coworkers told me not to worry, but I can't stop thinking about it. I hate OCD!

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 4, 2010

I wouldn't worry too much about it. He could have taken the tone of the comment wrong.

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 4, 2010

I'm sorry. That is just strange that he would tell you that. I had my former principal moving a HUGE reading loft the first day I met him.

8. CanukTeach

CanukTeach Companion

Mar 4, 2010

I really wouldn't worry about it. Just pay attention to his sense of tone in future convos.

9. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Mar 5, 2010

Keep in mind that your P may be feeling a lot of the same frustrations you are. It's difficult being transferred to a new school mid-year. This may not be the first time it's happened to him and he may not be any happier about the change in your school than you are. Then he goes around to meet the new teachers, trying to learn more about them and gets a comment suggesting it's his responsibility to help move the broken desks from your room.

I know that is not the way you meant it at all and I honestly could see myself making the same type of comment under your conditions. There have been plenty of times I've said something in jest, but it was taken seriously by the other person and I had to mend the fences.

Your P is probably very stressed over the new position and your comment may have just hit him the wrong way when you said it. You might approach him to apologize for the comment, explaining that you meant the comment in jest, but you realize it was a poor choice of words and timing on your part.

Like the others, I can't imagine he would actually write you up over the comment. Give him a few days for the emotions to cool down and he should realize the situation isn't as serious as he thought. ;)

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Mar 5, 2010

My principal probably would have moved them for me. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

11. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Mar 5, 2010

Are you female? Any decent gentleman would have offered to move them for you!

12. SPECIALEDMAN

SPECIALEDMAN Companion

Mar 5, 2010

Blazer- You are right! I would have helped move them in a heart beat.

After that, I would set-up a system where people are held accountable to do certain jobs for items of this nature.

13. beatlebug731

beatlebug731 Comrade

Mar 5, 2010

I would apologize for the comment and offer and talk to him/her saying that you can empathize with his/her stress and ask if there is anyway that you can help them. It sounds like they are probably going through a stressful time themselves.

14. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Mar 5, 2010

If you talked to him about it, I'd let it go. Some people, male and female, act like they have permanent PMS! Let him see that you're still the hard worker you've always been, and he'll probably forget about it.

15. 123456now

123456now Rookie

Mar 5, 2010

I agree that he shouldn't get upset over that statement at all. However, why can't you move them yourself?

16. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Mar 5, 2010

I'm not allowed to put them in the hallway and I can't throw away school property without authorization.

17. 123456now

123456now Rookie

Mar 6, 2010

How frustrating! Nothing like efficiency, huh? :rolleyes: Good luck.

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 6, 2010

I can't imagine working for a principal that would have behaved in such a way. My current principal would have likely moved them without me even having to ask.

19. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Mar 6, 2010

I feel for you, Bumble. Our district seems to attract the most unsupportive, stressed out, power hungry, weak and unreasonable principals that I have ever encountered.

Know that you are appreciated - by your students, their parents (though they may not express this to you), by other teachers. And I appreciate you, your passion for teaching, your desire to help your students, your tolerance for others' weaknesses. You inspire me. And I know that you inspire your students.

Don't let this principal bring you down. Your students are counting on you.

20. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Mar 6, 2010

Thank you, schoolteacher. That was very nice of you. We went through way too many principals year alone! I need to stop internalizing it all. It feels great to know there are people who appreciate us.

21. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Mar 6, 2010

My principal always rolls up her sleeves to help when she can. Sometimes, moving furniture is part of the job unfortunately. I once had to go down into the custodians' basement and bring up three student chairs and desks 15 minutes before the bell rang to start the day because I had just been told I had threee new students beginnng that day. No one came up to volunteer to get me desks and chairs so I just went down myself. It was either that or have those kids walk into a classroom feeling very awkward because they had no where to sit. We teachers do it all! Principals should help!

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 7, 2010

I can see how the comment may sound a little pushy/demanding, but if you apologized about how the comment may have sounded, the P shouldn't be too peeved. I think we ALL have said comments that may have not been bad, but could have been percieved to be a little rude, etc.

23. lhuff546

lhuff546 New Member

Mar 11, 2010

I'm sorry you had to go through that. It sounds like there might be some other things going on with the school if this is the third principql in the last year. I would think that the principal would want to help you get rid of the broken desks. Seems like they might be a hazard. Maybe he is just frustrated with the whole situation and took it out on you. Because you were already frustrated with the desks, maybe it came across as you being rude. Maybe when he gets to know you better, he will see that you were not intentionally being rude or exibiting inapproriate behaviors. I can't imagine you getting written up for it. I hope it all works out for you. Good luck!

24. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Mar 11, 2010

It sounds like something I would obsess over too. I personally don't understand where he thought the comment was inappropriate but there's nothing you can do about it now. Just keep in mind that your principal is obviously overly sensitive for any future interactions. I wouldn't approach it again with him, and I would try to listen to what your coworkers have to say about it.

25. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Mar 11, 2010

Thank you. It is out of my head now. :)