Inappropriate Behavior

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Indian48, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Indian48

Indian48 New Member

Jan 11, 2008

I teach a 4/5 year old preschool class and I have a female student who is exhibiting inappropriate behavior. She constantly talks about marrying another male student, boyfriends/girlfriends etc. It escalated a few weeks ago to her telling another student they were going to "play sex" with the male student. The other day she was pulling the front of her pants down during naptime across from another student so he would do it too. I know it is normal for children to be curious, but I am getting worried by this behavior. The mother is very concerned and upset by this and I'm trying to find any information I can give her to help. Thanks!

3. dolphinswim

dolphinswim Companion

Jan 11, 2008

I come across that(not the sex part) and here is what I do. Some one may say they have a "girlfriend/boyfriend" and I will cover my ears and say "No, no no...don't say that word..." Then I would get really quite and look kinda serious and wisper..."we don't have time for boyfriend/girlfriend becasue we have too many things to do in pre-k!" They think I am silly but I never hear about it or any kissing/lovey stuff going on
    I will also talk to the child to make sure they understand that school is not the place for talk like that and that they are much to young to be thinking about such silly things! I don't make a big deal about it but I do try to let them know I don't like to hear about it and that is sometimes enough for them to stop.

4. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Jan 12, 2008

I would be worried by this behavior also. It seems to me that it might be a sign of sexual abuse. It's worth looking into.

5. zawa

zawa Rookie

Jan 12, 2008

We only really had one incident of a possible sexual nature at our center that I can recall. I believe that the decision was made to call social services to report it, but it wasn't in my room so I don't know the details for sure. Some interest in sexual matters, particularly physical differences, is normal for kids-- but it sounds to me like this child is sexualized (perhaps through exposure to adult tv/movies/conversation rather than sexual abuse?). I would certainly be concerned, but I don't know anythign about what the proper response would be. Good luck with the issue!

6. bw1

bw1 Rookie

Jan 12, 2008

hrmm that is what I was thinking too. :eek:hmy: