Inadequate preschool space

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by stressedteacher, Mar 19, 2014.

1. stressedteacher

stressedteacher New Member

Mar 19, 2014

I took a job as a Director/Teacher of a new preschool program at the end of last summer. The preschool is in an existing gymnastics center. The “classroom” is in the corner of a huge gym with cubical dividers set up to block off the preschool space from the rest of the gym. In other words, we don’t have actual walls. While there is not a ton of activity going on during the school day, the noise from the gymnastics classes is very loud and distracting at times. When I was hired I was told they were expanding and would be building a separate preschool room. The truth is, they are expanding the gymnastics space but we will not be getting our own preschool room. What I thought was a temporary space is now the permanent home of the preschool.

I am also the one and only employee of the preschool. I do everything from lesson plans, cleaning, newsletters, director tasks, etc. When I asked for an assistant for a very rambunctious 3 year old class the director said, “if you can’t even handle the stress of this class how can you ever be a director.” I was shocked at this statement. I have been a director before and the stress of being a director is very different from being in the classroom full time. I prefer being in a director/administrator role to being a teacher and I was very clear about this during both of my interviews. I was told the teaching would be temporary and as the program grew I would be the director. I don’t see any relief for next year either. We are hiring another teacher for the fall but we are expanding to twice the size. Needless to say I am very unhappy as things stand.

The owners of the business think we have the greatest program in the world but I just can’t get over the setup of it. They have no idea how inadequate the space is. Besides noise, we lack a sink in the classroom, the bathrooms are clear across the building (sometimes we make 4 trips to the bathroom during a 3 hours class), I have a garage door as one of the walls of the classroom (which makes for a very cold winter) and the chalk they use in gymnastics leaves a constant film of dust over everything no matter how much I try to clean it.

Had I known then what I know, now I wouldn’t not have accepted the job. I feel very deceived about the program. I don’t know if I should just suck it up and continue on for next year or if I should look for employment elsewhere. Does this set up seem crazy to anyone else or am I making a big deal out of nothing? Have you ever worked in a program with a non-traditional/inadequate set up?Any advice/thoughts would be helpful.

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 19, 2014

I have "made do" in my own preschool. Since I was the owner, I had a plan to improve and stuck to it.

Is your program licensed or certified? From the sounds of it, it would not pass an inspection.

4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Mar 19, 2014

I would move on if I were in the position. That doesn't mean it's the right choice for you, but your complaints are very legitimate. It doesn't sound like any of these concerns will be addressed or even acknowledged.

5. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Mar 19, 2014

Start looking for a new job.

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Mar 19, 2014

It feels like it couldn't be a licensed preschool for more reasons than I can count. Does your state have a minimum square footage requirement? In our state children can't share a bathroom with adults. If you are the only employee, what happens if you take your break or have to go to the bathroom? I could go on and on.

No one can tell you what to do, but I would be looking for another job, mostly because I couldn't deal with the noise from the gym all the time.

7. asha

asha Rookie

Mar 19, 2014

I think that other post maybe correct about the licensing part. No bathroom in your class, it is illegal in my state. I do not known how you do art without sink! This set up is crazy, with noice and all. Time to leave, this is not a classroom.

8. stressedteacher

stressedteacher New Member

Mar 20, 2014

Thank you to everyone who posted! You validated my feelings and I am looking for employment elsewhere.

Logically, you would think we wouldn't be licensed but somehow we are which I am absolutely baffled by. We passed our initial licensing inspection by the state. Because we are a new preschool we had to have another inspection 6 months after we opened and we passed that one too. I have been in other centers where the licensing agent finds the littlest things to write people up for but that was not the case here. We did not have one single violation found during either visit. The only thing I had to do after the visit was take down an art display because more than 20% of a wall was covered.

The space is actually really big. We are licensed for up to 30 kids at a time although we limit the class size to 10.

The comment about how we do art without a sink...I spray the kids hands with a spray bottle filled with water and wipe their hands with paper towels. I feel like I work in a third world country without water.

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 22, 2014

Have you looked up the regs for your state. I would, but you don't list it. If a sink is required by the state, and you don't have one, a plan should be in place to take care of that issue. It sounds like the certifier is using the entire space as day care space.