Inactive Certificate - teach in another state?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by rtphillips, Oct 4, 2011.

1. rtphillips

rtphillips Rookie

Oct 4, 2011

Hi all. Sorry if this topic has been discussed, but I couldn't find it.

I graduated college and got my Pennsylvania level 1 teaching certificate in May 2007. Since then, I substituted for a year, and have spent a few years overseas teaching and as a missionary. My wife is in a similar situation, but received hers in 2008. I haven't gotten any Act 48 credits and haven't taken any grad courses since getting my certificate, and it goes inactive in May 2012. My predicament is that we are thinking of moving back to the US and would like to teach. I couldn't get a job in PA unless I take 6 credits in grad courses (there's no way I'm going to get 180 Act 48 hours from now until then). I'd like to be able to teach in PA if by some small chance I get a job near my family, so I might start a grad program, but we're thinking it is more likely that we'll be able to get jobs down south. My question is this:

If my certificate goes inactive in May 2012, will other states allow me to gain a certificate in their state via interstate reciprocality?

Basically I'd like to avoid taking any grad courses or getting into a masters program until I am really ready, or until I am working for a district that will (help) pay for it. Thank you for your expert advice!

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Oct 4, 2011

Please call PDE and ask about this. There was a bill passed in July of this year putting a "hold" on making certificates inactive. I wish I knew the details but since I have plenty of Act 48 credits, I haven't paid attention. In your situation, I would certainly call and ask some questions. You might like the answer.
    The job situation is really tight in PA but I would think your job experience internationally would be interesting to an employer.

4. rtphillips

rtphillips Rookie

Oct 5, 2011

Woah, awesome! I researched this a bit and found House Bill 1352 (can't post a link, but it can be googled).

Basically, from August 19, 2011 to June 30, 2013 no active certificates will go inactive due to not meeting requirements. Then on July 1, 2013 all active certificates will have the remaining time they were supposed to have from August 19, 2011 onward. So we all get an extra 2 years to fulfill the requirements. That's great news! Now I don't have to start my masters right away.

Thanks for your help!