Ina a pinch...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by runsw/scissors, Sep 18, 2009.

1. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 18, 2009

What are some picture books or novels you pull from to use as an example of descriptive writing? I am specifically looking for description of characters that are not of the sort that tell rather than show and focus more on personality traits rather than physical traits. I have read so many books this should be easy for me, but my mind has hit a brick wall. Any suggestions out there?

3. Ceyber

Ceyber Rookie

Sep 19, 2009

The Mysteries of Harris Burdick is a fantastic book to talk about creative writing. Lots of neat pictures, with a single sentence above them - some teachers use the sentence to start the story, or end the story, and some just say it has to be in the story.

There was a contest for a while for students to write short stories from the images.

4. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Sep 20, 2009

Doesn't Frindle use good character descriptions? I'm trying to think of some more.

5. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Sep 20, 2009

What about The Giver, or at least some excerpts of it? (yes, I am very partial to that book). I would think some of the memories - like Christmas, hunger, etc - would be good to use as examples of emotions rather than mere physical descriptions. Personally, I love poetry for this too - a lot of poetry can convey emotions so well through description. Edgar Allen Poe is really excellent for descriptive writing - he conveys not just the physical, but the emotions as well. Not sure if this is what you want, but I hope I helped.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2009

I love Kevin Henkes books for character (and so many other things!). Chrysanthemum is great for character exploration.

'The Stories Julian Tells' is also good. Great descriptive writing-especially the first chapter and definitely discernable traits unique to each main character.