in third grade to you grade your spelling tests?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by born2teach84, Jul 4, 2007.

1. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Jul 4, 2007

What I mean is I checked the tests and passed them back and the students who did poorly we would talk but as for putting those grades in a grade book I didn't. Now in their writing I would look for those words and see if they were spelling them right. Now I couldn't look for all the words we did but I looked for the ones that meant the most.

If you do take grades and put them in your grade book would you put them under conventions or content? Do you average their score each grading period?

3. Lilu0819

Lilu0819 Companion

Jul 4, 2007

In 3rd we graded our spelling tests. We actually had a separate section on their report cards just for spelling grades. We also had a grade under the writing section that was something along the lines of "applies spelling words correctly in written work".

I averaged all of their tests. They had to add the words they got wrong to a review list and then on the review weeks they had to redo those words.

4. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 4, 2007

Yes, I grade each test and then average them for each grading period. We have an actual spelling program that goes along with our Harcourt reading program.