In the spirit of getting organized...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Andrea L, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 4, 2008

I went to school last week and brought home almost all of the contents from my two, four-drawer filing cabinets to organize. I thought it would be easier to do at home, plus I really like being at home while I do school work (plus, saving gas is important). Anyhow...I've been working for two days now and I'm exhausted. I'm still not done either. I've been going through each folder and pulling out any duplicate copies. I've also been pulling out items that are too low/high for my third graders and putting them in a box that I will store in the back of my classroom just in case I need it. I can't believe all the duplicates I had in my files. I've reduced my files so much, I feel like I don't have much in the way of resources. It's funny how much clutter can collect without even knowing it.

Hopefully, after I've gone through my filing cabinets, I can keep them organized! :)

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2008

I feel inspired to organize. :)

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2008

I did a major purge of my filing cabinet the last couple of weeks of school. I probably got rid of half of what was there! I also started going through all of my resource books. I have so many and often forget what is there or only use 2 or 3 sheets from each. I took out the pages that are useful to me, then got rid of the books (gave them to colleagues who know there are pages missing). I know that when I get back in my room the last week of August, everything will feel much "lighter".

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2008

Thats impressive, Andrea L! :) Good job! What's your next organization project?

6. daizie75

daizie75 Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

I impressed too. I meant to do that this summer, a few folders at a time. I brought home some math folders to go through and figured I'd swap them out when I finished them. They are still in my crate behind my couch! Oh well. I've gotten some things done.

7. BusyBeeMrsP

BusyBeeMrsP Rookie

Aug 5, 2008

You're my inspiration. I am now sorting through my files, printing some lesson ideas off.

Andrea - You're my hero. :)

8. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2008

I also had good intentions of cleaning the file cabinet this summer. Didn't happen. I hate having file cabinets. They're my main source of dread.

9. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 5, 2008

I wouldn't be in this predicament if I would file my masters away when I'm done with them instead of waiting until the end of the school year or in this case the beginning of the next. I realized I couldn't fit another piece of paper into many of my drawers when I finally tried to put things away so I just kept shoving them into a cupboard. The sad part is I knew that I would need a lot of the stuff for back to school, but because I had not filed hardly anything (yes, even from the beginning of last school year) I was going to be in major trouble. Hopefully now, I'll file things away since it will be easier to get into my filing cabinets. My next project is to go through my teaching resource books and get rid of the books I don't use. I may end up ripping the pages out that I use and throwing/donating the rest like Mrs. C did. We'll see. I've made myself a promise that I would not start decorating/arranging my classroom until my cupboards and filing cabinets were completly organized.

Oh...and my back is extremely sore from sitting on the floor for two days while going through all this JUNK! :)

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2008

But you are making great progress....what's that saying...no pain, no gain? :)

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 5, 2008

That was one of my chores before I left this summer. You should have seen some of the stuff I found in my file cabinet! I think every time I know "visitors" are coming in the classroom I just clear off my table and put everything in there. I had like CD's in there and newsletters from teachers who must have previously inhabited the room because I had never heard of them. I think I got a drawer and half done throwing away 2 big bags of garbage. What's left isn't organized into labeled folders yet but I feel like it was a start.

12. missk83

missk83 Companion

Aug 5, 2008

Congrats to all you organizers! I mean to be very organized this year, but as a first year teacher I don't know where to start!