In the spirit of Alice's, "As you prep for the upcoming year, "

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherShelly, Jul 19, 2010.

1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 19, 2010

As you prep for the coming year, please consider the profound impact Emotional Intelligence has on all learning. EQ is learnable and teachable. Teaching children how to recognize, name, navigate and use feelings to make better life decisions will go as far as anything else in helping them succeed. Teaching consequential thinking and intrinsic motivation will make so much difference, you won't need to spend a lot of time on behavior modification, too.

For a simple book with short lessons on recognizing and using emotions, look here (click the book to see more info/where to buy): [​IMG]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Example:
    Stress Styles Lesson
    (Teacher) Share a story about a time you were in a difficult social or emotional situation that you felt you escalated or fed the problem and then share how you might have handled it differently.

Choose 4 volunteers to role play a scenario. Write Avoider, Fighter, Computer, Victim on the board. Give each volunteer student a role (below). Read the scenario (below) to the class and have the students role play how their Role would respond.

Reflect: which role is the most familiar to you? Who do you know that often takes one role or the other? Are the roles inborn, or do we learn them? Do you have a choice about your reactions? If the Role is not working, can you change it?

ROLES:
    Fighter: Your usual pattern is to be angry. You blame, knowing the best defense is a good offense. You are loud and a bit scary to others.

Victim: Your pattern is to be quiet, passive and to assume responsibility and blame for most of what happens. You would rather be blamed than have people get angry and loud.

Avoider: You hate problems. You will do anything to avoid conflict: change the subject, make a joke, be silly, even ridiculous, and finally even run away physically or emotionally.

Computer: You are super-rational. If everyone would just stop worrying about their feelings and stop talking about what people need and feel, everything could be solved logically. You are impatient and uncomfortable when people insist on carrying on about feelings. You wish everyone could just get on with life.

SCENARIO:
    You are on the way to the movies with your family/friends. The car runs out of gas. The movie starts in 20 minutes and you are 10 minutes away by car.

~~~~~~~~~~~

No one has time for social/emotional literacy teaching. Many find time. I think the time will make itself. If kids are unable to manage their emotional selves, they can't really learn. There are current neuroscience data to back this up. The time makes itself when you have to repeat yourself because kids are still upset from recess, or you spend minutes a day responding to tattling and social problems.

Do you wonder how Emotionally Intelligent you are? You can find out for $15. I just spent five days in an EQ workshop and now want all educators to have the same info.

Thanks for considering what I'm saying.

Yours,
    Shelly

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2010

My school board has a focus on Social, Emotional, and Academic Learning (SEAL) and we will have a push on it at my school next year. I brought the documents home to read over the summer and am looking forward to delving into this. Our students' social-emotional wellness (for want of a better term) is so important to their success.

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 19, 2010

Thank you, Mrs C, for your response. It's wonderful to know other schools are focusing on this - especially since the payoff goes deeper than most any other focus and lasts a lifetime. Canada seems more progressive in this way than the USA.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2010

Thanks for this post. This topic doesn't get the attention it needs...today more than ever.

6. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jul 19, 2010

To me this is a billion times more important than any test score out there. I am huge on nurturing a child's emotional state or just taking a holistic approach to education.

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 20, 2010

Same here, especially if it's a STAR/State Standardized test!

8. Alegre

Alegre Rookie

Jul 20, 2010

Thanks, Shelly, for posting this information. Although it seems some have heard about it, it's all very new to me! I wasn't able to find the book title (or link to the book) you recommend for further information. I'm copying your information to keep in mind as I prepare for my next group.

9. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 20, 2010

Alegre, I think that website is down. It was working yesterday. Here's another book, Developing Children's Emotional Intelligence that a teacher recommended.

It has ideas for teaching EQ through art, drama, poetry, songs, storytelling, journalling, literature...

Here's an example:
    Artistic Reflection on Literature:
    You can use art as a response to stories and happenings in the classroom. After reading stories in the classroom, discuss the emotions certain characters may have felt.
    1. Ask the children to imagine how characters in the story may have felt. Discuss in small groups.
    2. Give children the opportunity to produce a collage, paint or draw how they perceive the character may have felt.
    3. You can use this to express situations that happen at school (e.g., bullying, fights, feeling left out, etc.) and can help children to become more empathetic of others.

There are about 100 of these ideas in the book.

10. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 21, 2010

I really feel that if we spent even 10% of our time on the social, emotional side of kids, it would make our remaining 90% much more productive than our current 100%

11. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 21, 2010

Halfateacher, well said (IMO!).

12. Michelle4711

Michelle4711 New Member

Apr 14, 2012

Hi -I love this book too -Developing Children's Emotional Intelligence- it is awesome so practical -I use it all the time!:love:

13. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Apr 14, 2012

I think this is area is even more neglected in high schools. I know I have a lot of content to cover, but little if any, of it will actually be retained by the students if they are in an unhealthy place emotionally. Thanks for the links!