In-services...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by loves2teach, Jul 15, 2007.

1. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2007

Hi,

I was wondering how your district handles in service hours. How many do you have to have per year, and what kind of training do you go to?

I have to get 18, but usually get a ton more than that. Last year I had 28 hours, the year before that over 100 :eek:

So far this summer I have 6 hours, and tomorrow will have an additional 4 more hours. I have several more planned before school start as well.

So... what about you?

3. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 15, 2007

In my county, we have to have 30 hours. I have 27 under my belt so far this summer! :)
    I had a Literacy Training workshop that goes along with our Reading program, one on Literacy Centers, and an 18 hour Understanding Poverty workshop. The U.P. workshop was, by far, the best one I went to this summer!

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2007

We get all our inservice hours at our scheduled, student-free inservice days. As far as I'm aware, there aren't any extra requirements on an annual basis.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 15, 2007

My state required 60 hours per year. My distict provides 42 of those during our contract, and we get 18 hours on our own over the summer. If we don't, there are 3 "flex" days in the calendar, like the day before Thanksgiving and the day after New Years, where you can get those hours, but I prefer to do mine now and have those days off. The state mandates that you have to have so many hours in certain things, and the district takes care of that during our contract. The hours you get over the summer are up to you, as long as you connect them to your professional development plan.

6. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

I've never had to do any more than what were done on our in-service days unless you were requested to do a specific set of workshops based on your needs from your evaluation (I needed to attend a dicipline workshop between my first and second years). I've always been allowed to attend my music convention.

All states require different amounts of hours/credits for renewal of teaching certificates.

7. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jul 15, 2007

We have to do 18 hours on our own. I will have mine finished before school starts but my school offers 30 minute sessions after school all year so we can get more. I don't need the hours but I usually go because they are interesting.

8. hyperangel

hyperangel Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

Was that the Ruby Payne Framework for Understanding Poverty? If so, awesome workshop!

9. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 15, 2007

It was! It definitely was an awesome workshop!

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

NJ has a 10o hour every 5 years deal... In my district it's easy as we have a lot of inservice professional deelopment plus you can count the hours from professional meetings if you keep the agenda.