In Search of Science Literacy Curric

Discussion in 'General Education' started by OneBerry, Sep 7, 2014.

1. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Sep 7, 2014

I'm teaching a class this year I've never taught before. It's a literacy skills class with an emphasis on Science. I have been teaching it since the start of the year, but I feel like suddenly I am struggling (more than I have been) with planning activities. Every week we practice summarizing, reading informational texts, and answering text-based multiple choice questions. Beyond that, our lessons have varied. I am not sure where to go with this. I'm hoping to find some lessons / websites with activities or lessons that sound applicable to this and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated! :)

(I have already used a couple of things from ReadWriteThink, and we use Readworks passages about once a week. Right now I am exploring the National Geographic educators' site.)

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 7, 2014

I just did a PD on this this summer! I'll send you a link to the materials I got.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 7, 2014

If you haven't looked at Scholastic, you probably should. You can do a lot with their science magazines, and many of the articles have different activities that lend themselves for this need. The same article may show up with the view point of geography, and maybe math, in addition to science and current events. Also, go to Science News for Students, and every couple of days you will get cutting edge material that is one or more paragraphs in length, some with citations and vocabulary, others less intricate. An example of what I am talking about can be seen in the following link: http://us7.campaign-archive2.com/?u=2d4ce318c4203e07e40befef6&id=65fbdfc3c2&e=f668da7122. Discovery is good, National Geographic works for students (online version for me), PBS Learning Media is worth a look, NSTA website often has great articles for students, and freebies for teachers, so worth the membership fee. Once a member, you would be amazed at everything you can find in the articles/library to download. Great ideas and ways to use the information. I do like Readworks, and I go through and print all that look interesting to me, then I hold them to pair with articles of the same vein or opposing something from one of the other sources, so that the students have to give more thought, generating more literacy skills.

If you haven't raided HHMI.ORG's piggy bank of highly interesting and useful educational materials, you should. Tons of stuff, and they send it to you for free. Some very short films can generate research and inquiry, which should be part of what you are doing. Somewhere I have a list of this kind of stuff a mile long, but these are my first line and go to favorites. Oh, don't forget the Smithsonian and a good Natural History Museum. They always have stuff to use.

5. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Sep 7, 2014

Going along this same vein, does anybody have any recommendations or links for appropriate novels that can be tied into a science class?

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 7, 2014

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 7, 2014

http://www.ala.org/offices/resources/sciencenovels

I just found that now. I'm actually very interested in getting some of these for my library now.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 7, 2014

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 7, 2014

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 7, 2014

OneBerry - now you've done it! The little science nerds will share their favorite treasures with you. This is the most fun I've had all week! :p

11. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Sep 7, 2014

Oh my gosh, I'm so excited with all these suggestions. Thank you all! I'm gonna be ok! :haha: I'm a bit of a Science nerd myself but new to the literacy aspect, so all the links and ideas are making me feel like it's my birthday or something!

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico