In Need of Support

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by cindyw625, Mar 17, 2009.

1. cindyw625

cindyw625 Rookie

Mar 17, 2009

I'm about 3/4 ways done with my student teaching and I'm the first student teacher for my CE. She hasn't given up the control much since I've been teaching at 100% (rather 85-90%) for the past six weeks. My past four evaluations were outstanding and my supervisor and CE were impressed with me. Now, for the past few weeks, it's seems like no matter what I do, my CE isn't happy with it. She gets nit-picky with me and I feel like I'm walking egg shells with her now. It wasn't like this for the first two and a half months, now, it's not very fun and I come up upset. Whenever I teach my lessons, the kids have fun and get things done and things seem to go fine. When I try to operate under her conditions, things go wrong and she becomes nit-picky. Then, I feel like I'm a nobody that's lower than the scum on the bottom of the oceans. I feel like an incompetent teacher which my evaluations contradict. I just need some good insight from my anyone. I have a few friends that give me further insight, one who's a veteran teacher and who has been a Clinical Educator numerous time. She doesn't like what she's hearing from me. Thinks my CE isn't ready to be one yet with still having a hard time giving up the control. What do you think? And am I doing the right thing by doing whatever my CE tells me to do and asks me to do and stepping back when it seems like she wants the control?
    Thanks.

(PS: Sorry it's been a while. I started with subbing and now I'm student teaching. It's been a while since I've come here. Hope all is well with you.)

3. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Mar 17, 2009

I am having the EXACT same problem. It really makes me mad when I am teaching and my CT butts in and gets the kids all hyper again. They listen to me more than her. I get the kids quiet and they do their work and have fun and then she steps in the room and starts talking and pulling kids to work with and messes everything I have going on up.
    Makes me not want to work with a teachers aide if this is what happens.
    Your post sounds exactly like I would have posted. I would love some feedback as well.

4. cindyw625

cindyw625 Rookie

Mar 17, 2009

Well, they listen to her more than me. When she leaves the room for like a two minute errand, they start talking and getting out of their seats like I'm a nobody. My friend/veteran teacher and friend from here BOTH said how do I expect them to listen to me just as much when her presence is always in the classroom which undermines my authority? GOOD POINT.

5. Gamblor

Gamblor New Member

Mar 17, 2009

That is rough. Is it too late to be switched out? I would talk with your supervisor. I wish I had talked to mine sooner with my bad practicum 2 experience. If you can't be switched out, at least your supervisor can try to mediate the situation

6. cindyw625

cindyw625 Rookie

Mar 17, 2009

I'd hate to switch out when I'm practically done! If I could just get some guidance or support on how to stick this out for the last five weeks. I was told by my friend/veteran teacher that I need to look strong and stay strong to carry this out and not show any resistance. I guess that'd be a positive thing to do....

Plus, I'd hate to cause "ripples in the water" if my supervisor were to say anything about it to my CE.

7. Gamblor

Gamblor New Member

Mar 17, 2009

Well, your supervisor should be there to help you out, I don't think he/she would do anything to make it worse for you. You'll fine though! :)

8. cindyw625

cindyw625 Rookie

Mar 17, 2009

I'm on the right track then, right? Just by doing what she tells me or asks me to do and just getting done what I need to get done? I feel horrible - incompetent. Is this how student teaching normally goes?

I would like more feedback from others on this.... :help:

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2009

I think this is a normal thing for some going through student teaching. It may be that the CT isn't ready for a ST. Maybe she has control issues or is even jealous of how well you are doing. If you are almost done, I'd just suck it up and keep doing what you've been doing. Your supervisor knows you are doing an excellent job...that's important. Also, just think...soon you'll have your own classroom and it won't matter what your CT did! You can do it :)

10. cindyw625

cindyw625 Rookie

Mar 23, 2009

Thanks Leighbball....
    I'm down to 4 weeks with spring break in the middle. She is so happy we're in the process of gradual release of responsibility now where she can have control again. She even said today during lunch with other teachers she's so glad to have her instructional position back. (Gee, thanks.) But, I'm getting by - she's trying to have me observe in almost any other class to get me out of her "hair" so she can do what she wants. I may be the last one she ever takes in again.... Talked to supervisor a while back, she said I'm doing everything I can and everything respectfully right.

11. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Mar 23, 2009

Have your tried asking her about it? Maybe ask her if you can have lunch with her in the classroom so you can talk. Let her know how you feel in a very professional manner.