In need of math centers for 3-5th grades

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by mardi08, Jun 2, 2009.

1. mardi08

mardi08 Rookie

Jun 2, 2009

Help! I need some math center games to use in class. I'm looking for multiplication, money, time, addition, subtraction - basics

Thanks!:help:

3. peridotylayne

peridotylayne Companion

Jun 3, 2009

Multiplication - Times Table Checkers.. Set out a checker board.. on the bottom of each piece tape a multiplication fact... when a student jumps his/her oppenent's piece, he/she must turn the chip over and answer the fact correctly in order to take it..

Money.. something to do with taking orders at a restaurant .. coming up with totals and giving change could work..

4. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Jun 3, 2009

Go to You Tube and do a search for the math game called "bump," my 4th graders LOVED it!!! Card games like war, dice games, bingo are all great. One of my easiest and best loved centers is what I call "multiplication wipe off boards." I laminated a bunch of timed tests and the kids complete them using dry erase markers. With these we also play a game I called popcorn in which the kids sit in a circle, each one has one of the multiplication wipe off boards. They start completing the problems and when I call "popcorn" the kids pass their board to the person next to them, clockwise. This goes on and on until someone completes the board. If that board is all correct, they "win." If it has mistakes, the game goes on. It's really fun and I make sure to include a variety on the boards, like all the 2's facts, some all mixed up, etc. They LOVE this game!!!

5. wendy 31

wendy 31 Rookie

Jun 5, 2009

I don't know what your budget is like, but I purchased Learning Pallete math kits and my kids love it! They work independently and it is self checking.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

7. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jun 6, 2009

8. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jun 6, 2009

I haven't come across either one of those sites before, GoldenPoppy. Thanks for posting!

My students enjoyed several of the games from Laura Candler's website in 5th grade, so I'll be using some with my 4th graders next year. If I can find my bookmarked links, I'll try and remember to add some more here.

9. mr.flannery

mr.flannery Rookie

Jun 14, 2009

Math Centers

To practice perimeter:

Take a regular 8.5" x 11" piece of paper and have students make three straight cuts, and make a new polygon by putting all the pieces together. They give their new polygon a name and measure the perimeter and color it up for an simple art project as well.

10. NC Teacher 4

NC Teacher 4 Rookie

Jun 15, 2009

11. mclaugcr

mclaugcr Companion

Jun 16, 2009

12. Mrs. Porter

Mrs. Porter Rookie

Jun 18, 2009

Math games are a great way for centers because they can run themselves. We also have these things called versatiles. Check them out too.

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 5, 2009

I have found this website to be GREAT as well. Currently I am compiling a list of possible centers for my new resource site. I'll keep you in mind.

14. mandabee

mandabee Rookie

Jul 6, 2009

Last year I took an egg carton and wrote numbers in the bottom of the lulls. then I put two small marbles in them. The kids would shake the carton and then have to multiply the numbers that the marbles would land on. I used this for multiplication, but it could easily be used for other functions! The best part is, it's easy to differentiate because you can have several egg cartons, with smaller or larger numbers for the kids to use!

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 18, 2009

16. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 18, 2011

Reviving this thread for most recent math games thread started. I think the LearnNC link I provided in the newer thread is a little different, though. :) It's ok... we have it!