In need of advice.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teachtx, Apr 29, 2013.

1. teachtx

teachtx Rookie

Apr 29, 2013

After a very rough first year (both professionally and personally), I have decided that teaching is not for me. I had begun to suspect that it wasn't a good fit back when I was a student teacher, and my first year in the classroom only confirmed my suspicions.

I am not looking for anyone to talk me into sticking with it or giving it another year or two... I know that this is the right decision, and that's that. What I do need help with is where to go from here.

I'm starting grad school in the fall in order to change directions professionally to something I think will be a much better fit for me. However, I still need to work in the meantime. I've considered subbing, but I really worry about being able to make ends meet on that income. But I don't know what else to do. I've been applying for different jobs, things that aren't teaching-related but that I still feel I am qualified for... administrative jobs, HR, things like that. This process has been going on for a couple of months and I've yet to receive so much as a call for an interview. I suspect it has to do with the fact that I have one year of teaching and an education degree on my resume... I feel like employers look at that and wonder what I'm doing looking for a job in these fields when I'm a certified teacher.

Any advice? Should I just not mention my teaching experience/degree on my resume? Should I just give up and go back to waiting tables like I did in college? Is there a (non-teaching) job that's still education-related that I might be qualified for? (My emphasis is high school English, if that helps.)

Has anyone else left the teaching profession, or considered it? What did/will you do with your education degree? Any advice would be much appreciated!

3. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Apr 29, 2013

I don't know if you live in a "big city" environment, but if so, can you temp? It is an opportunity to make ends meet, familiarize yourself with the white-collar environment, and it also might lead to a full time position.

Good luck.

4. Ms.H

Ms.H Companion

Apr 29, 2013

I'm a fellow English Education major and I am coming to the same decision as you have...it has just taken me eight years of teaching instead of one. I admire your decision to pursue something that will be a better fit.

I've also been getting a similar response (read: none) to most of my non-education-related applications. I've been looking at proofreading and writing types of jobs, thinking, who better than an English teacher?, but apparently lots of people are better! I've been trying to expalin in my cover letters that my teaching skills and experience are applicable to other positions, but so far to no avail.

I have seen some postings for writing/ editing testing materials for different subject area specialties (one of the only calls I did get, but didn't work time-wise), and I know there are seasonal positions scoring assessments as well. Tutoring might be an option, too.

Just out of curiosity, what are you going to grad school for? I hope that your new focus turns out to be a better fit and that you can find something fitting to do in the meantime.

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 30, 2013

I think it might be due more to a poor economy and over-applied for positions rather than your teaching experience. I think any experience, especially one in teaching, should be mentioned, because it is a good fit for a lot of different jobs.

However because HR jobs and office type jobs are so popular, hundreds of people tend to apply for them, and many have a lot more experience, working many years doing what they're doing. It doesn't take an expert to know how to file something, so anybody who wants a well paying job but has no other options, tend to apply for office jobs.

Have you tried applying with your district for an office type job? Or looked at other opportunities in your district that aren't teaching positions? i.e. techie, office administration, professional development?

I'm sorry I can't help you much more than that, but I know if I left teaching, the most likely job I would return to would be working at the grocery store nearby. They're the only place that is hiring and would give me a chance. And after a while, they do start paying you alright and have good benefits. Good luck.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 30, 2013

Have you looked into the corporate training area? Your education education and experience would be assets there.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 30, 2013

Ooooooh. This is a good idea. I know my district always has office jobs posted!

8. teacher girl

teacher girl Comrade

Apr 30, 2013

Technical writers make a good living. All you need is an English degree.

9. KateL

KateL Habitué

Apr 30, 2013

I'm in the same boat, but I am getting interviews. My contract has been non-renewed yet again. I've applied for a bunch of jobs, both teaching and non-teaching, and I'm only getting interviews for the non-teaching jobs. I think my time as a teacher is done. :( My degree is in biology, and so far I have interviews scheduled for a science admin position at a university, for a curriculum position at a university, and for a science government job. I applied for all of these over a month ago, and the interviews are all within the next week. Maybe you just need to wait a bit longer?

10. teachtx

teachtx Rookie

May 12, 2013

I am actually pursuing my master's in Technical Communication with hopes of going into technical writing or, ideally, editing/publishing. Really, this has been my dream since high school - I only went into teaching because I felt it was 'safer', as awful as that sounds. I've looked for entry-level technical writing jobs but most of them require experience and/or an advanced degree.

11. silversum

silversum Rookie

May 15, 2013

Try going into training and development or instructional design.