In need of advice.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by truffle, Sep 18, 2012.

1. truffle

truffle New Member

Sep 18, 2012

Hello, I've been lurking around the forums for a bit and thought I'd ask for some advice. I'm 25, recently received my ba in art education and have been considering going into a multiple subject credential and ma in ed. program. The only thing that's keeping me from doing so (and losing hair and sleep over) is the scary news I keep hearing about how many teachers are getting laid off because of the budget cuts and how it's going to get worse... I would love to be a teacher but I also need to be practical, given how things are at the moment... Also, I don't want to commit myself to a big loan and not be able to pay it back when I graduate. Now I'm considering starting over and go to dental school or nursing instead (something in the medical field). I know through that, I'll be able to land a decent job and be able to support myself after. So I guess my question is, is it practical to pursue teaching given how things are? Or will things get better in the field of education? Or is it better for me to turn back now while I still have time? I know there are lots of highly qualified teachers out there but are unemployed..

I appreciate the response.
    thank you!

3. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Sep 18, 2012

I can't say whether things will get better. I really like teaching; however right now can be hard to get hired and there is a lot of negative propaganda out that is very negative to teaching. I do not think I would go for teaching right now if I was back at the time of choosing; however part of my reason for choosing teaching, besides the fact I enjoyed it, was the districts in the area I lived in were desperate for teachers. I was very set on picking a career I felt would give me a decent shot at employment.

4. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Sep 18, 2012

Follow your heart. If you want to pursue a career in education, then do it. Don't be too concerned with the job situation right now. By the time you finish school, things could be entirely different.

5. Sincere

Sincere Rookie

Sep 19, 2012

I agree with elateacher. If it's really in your heart go for it! I don't think I would've gone for another degree if I had the chance to go back in time, but I definitely would have waited. I stayed back and went to college after he joined the military and missed out on some great opportunities to see the world.

6. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Sep 19, 2012

I love teaching! However, things are tough right now so I don't think its a bad idea to see what other options you may have. I have many friends who are nurses and love their jobs as well, and the job market is better with higher pay, at least in my state. Maybe you could shadow those that work in the medical field with jobs you are interested in just to get an idea of what it would be like? I agree with others that the important thing is to find something you are passionate about, but I honestly can say I think I'd enjoy several different careers.

7. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Sep 19, 2012

I am a career changer and I really think the job market is tough regardless of the field you choose. I know in my current town, nurses, PA's, DA's, were being laid off, dropped from ft to pt, benefits dropped, etc, because the dr's offices and hospital could not afford to staff the way they had in the past.
    In my current field, there are hunderds of applicants per position. Like the others have said, if your heart is in education continue your pursuit of it. Some of the discussions we are having in my current job consist of hiring those looking for a career vs a job. I think many employers are also taking that stance and that may weigh in on your decision.

8. HopelessTeacher

HopelessTeacher Rookie

Sep 19, 2012

I would say that the job market for teachers is extremely tough -- to the point that I'm about to give up on education. I've been substituting for several years and as much as I love teaching, I often regret staying in teaching because of the lack of progress I've made in life. Ironically, I absolutely love teaching and would have truly missed something I loved had I gone down a different path.

I agree with cby1224 that the job market itself is hard. Either way it can be difficult to land a job. The difference would be the level of difficulty. My point being -- nobody can be 100% certain what the future will be like for the 2 routes. Suppose you end up having to spend a period of time job searching, which would you rather pursue?

9. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Sep 19, 2012

I'm in almost the same boat as you are. This is my 3rd year subbing. There is NO WAY to predict if you will land a job teaching. My sister, after one year of subbing, landed a job on her first interview at a highly sought after district in music. I've subbed three years, had several interviews all over the state, and still don't have a job. Both of us graduated college in the "it's-next-to-impossible-to-find-a-job" era. At some point you simply have to make a decision and live with it. Yesterday I made the decision to go back to school. Today I found out I am in the running for a LTS maternity leave that I wasn't aware of in a district that has the tendency to hire from its LTS. So who knows.

Questions to ask yourself:

Can you be happy doing something else?
    Are you willing to bend over backwards to get a job?
    Are you going to regret not even trying to find a job teaching?
    Can you financially afford whatever it is you are trying to do?