In need of a bit of encouragement-Seeking job in NTEX

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Lumi, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Lumi

Lumi Companion

Jul 17, 2015

I apologize in advance if this gets long. I will try to keep it short.

I am in my late 40's and have had a Texas teaching certificate since 1994. I graduated out of state in 1990 and it took me 4 years to get my certificate (no money for classes and the test - that was my first mistake) in the mean time I taught in private church based schools (my second mistake). The same time I got my certificate I got pregnant and chose to stay at home with my son for his first year (definitely not a mistake :wub:). After he was about two years old I started substituting and ended up getting a paraprofessional job in my dream elementary school with the hopes of getting my foot in the door for a classroom job. I was told at the end of the year that teachers need classroom experience in this school district and that they don't hire first years so my only choice was to stay in my para job. I opted to quit that job and stay home with my son. Got pregnant again and stayed home several more years until my daughter was in preschool and then took a pre-K job at her school and found out that I love teaching preschool. It's truly my passion and I am an excellent preschool teacher. I taught at this school for 7 years, the whole time trying to find a job in the public schools and then got burnt out and decided to go back to school for a second career. I went to classes for three years and neither opportunity worked out for me so I ended up going back to preschool. I got an immediate job working at a NAEYC school and worked there for two years. I decided to make one more serious attempt at getting into the public schools so I left that school and that brings me up to now. I have spent the summer filling out applications for all the local districts. I am in the north Dallas area and I know this market is saturated. I think being out of school for 25 years without any official public school classroom experience makes me undesirable and so I have chosen to try to get a paraprofessional job. I have filled out applications for tons of para jobs in the area and I'm not hearing back from anyone and yet most of the positions I am applying for are still listed on line as being available. I'm getting so discouraged. I feel like I have done nothing but make one mistake after another over the years. I am even starting to think of what else I can do, but I have no other skills. My kids are almost all grown up now and I'm ready to work full time but I can't seem to break into the business and have no other employment alternatives that I can fall back on. I really need to get a job because I have one kid in college and another one about to go to college and very little retirement savings. I really want to contribute but I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I could use some encouragement and some positive stories and advice if anyone has been in my position. I would really appreciate it!:help:

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 18, 2015

My district doesn't usually do a lot of para hiring in the middle of the summer. Teachers, yes, but the para hiring is usually done right as the year is wrapping up in May or right as it is about to begin in August. This is mostly because it's tough to get a hiring team together in mid-summer, but more people are available around the ends of the school year. Maybe you'll get a bite when it gets closer to the start of the school year...

Good luck, and don't give up! I'm sure we would have offered someone with your background and experience at least a para interview in my last school.

4. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 20, 2015

Good luck, I can't offer any advise because Im not getting any bites either. Im in South Texas. At least you have a traditional teaching certificate, you have an advantage over the alternative certs..

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 20, 2015

Have you kept up with the trends or at least enough to fake it? I'd read up on current professional books and find a way to mention that in your cover letter.

I graduated during the whole language and integration phase ('93) and if I started talking about that at an interview, there'd probably be blank stares back at me!

Maybe post your cover letter without identifying info here to get some opinions.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 20, 2015

A bit of a hijack here, but if you are close to SA, I saw that a couple districts were having job fairs. It struck me as strange to have one so late. I don't remember which ones though.

7. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jul 20, 2015

Schoolspring.com has a good bit of jobs in texas still, granted most are charters. But if you really want to teach, it is an option.
    Also k12jobspot.com.

8. mjhoudek

mjhoudek Rookie

Jul 21, 2015

I have my alternative CERT am in my late 40s and have a para job in a district only after they knew me from subbing. I really believe that schools want to know who you are before they hire you. Sub at your fav school, then maybe something will open up for aide then teacher later on.

9. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Jul 21, 2015

I second school spring. That is where I found m first job at a charter school. I have since moved on to a public school.

10. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Jul 21, 2015

Start emailing principals. Are you applying or PK and Kinder positions?

You have an advantage with your experience and so many hire new grads for PK and Kinder and get a year or two out of teachers then they get married, pregnant and resign. At my school and neighboring ones the PK-1 teams were baby bump central this past year so I was like "I know positions are available" because all had the luxury of becoming a SAHM for as long as they want. One at my school said she chose kinder becasue of her husband's career because they want a big family and she can leave in the middle of the year, etc.

As an older teacher you'd be in demand IMO, they want a primary teacher who's going to have some deep longevity.

Email then email again. Contact parents you know from your preschool experience who are in good with their local elementary and the principals or someone on staff.

Email and talk up your experience.

11. sped_teach_tx

sped_teach_tx Rookie

Jul 21, 2015

Does anyone have any idea if Northside ISD in San Antonio is hiring special education teachers?

12. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 21, 2015

They are hiring SPED teachers. Its a hard district to get into though... They are pretty much the best.

13. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 21, 2015

A lot of job applications I submit state do not email or call Principals.

14. sped_teach_tx

sped_teach_tx Rookie

Jul 21, 2015

Yeah pommom, I actually IA'd there this year at a title 1. I really want to stay in the district because that's where I attended. I wouldn't mind going to another district as well. How do you know they are hiring SPED teachers? I've been in the applicant pool for almost a month, but I haven't heard anything yet. Also, do you know about the other districts (Judson, NEISD, SAISD,etc.) and their hiring of SPED teachers?

15. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Jul 21, 2015

Every district is hiring SPED teachers. The amount who waited until July 10th to submit resignations just grew. Why don't you check their website?

I remember seeing Northside at the Gulf Coast job fair a month ago. Every single district said "sped teachers" trust me. I braved that battlefield and know for a fact that not one said "No sped teachers here" Northside specifically listed sped teachers on the list of attendees and what they were looking for. The fair people said if they listed it on the list then that was a desperate need. If they didn't they still need it but not as much.

Could be the area. Here, most districts say "do not directly call administrators or HR" about setting up interviews. That's calling. Not emailing.

But at this point....school is in 33 days :eek::eek::eek::eek: they're not being stickler for the rules. Lots of position are still open and they need certified bodies in those rooms. Email them.

Plenty are doing it and getting the jobs. There's not as many applicants as 1-2 months ago as July is winding down and here the resignation deadline has passed.

I say email anyway. What's the worst that can happen? You don't get the job. Well you're back where you started when you weren't emailing.

My friend applied for middle school positions and I know she called principals about interviews and had 2 from that and just got position and in a district that says don't call about interviews. It needed to be filled and it was. She applied, emailed and called.

16. horned_Frog89

horned_Frog89 Companion

Jul 22, 2015

I totally agree that you SHOULD be emailing principals right now!

We had an HR representative in at one of our classes and she said it's getting to the point where principals don't have time to scroll through endless amounts of applications on line.

In N. Texas principals are just now getting back into the office and are learning about their last minute spot openings from teachers leaving.

They told us to email early morning or after 5/6pm because P's could be in meetings during the day and may scroll past emails.

I speak from experience as well. My current job I emailed the principal and a few days later had an interview and job offer.

17. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 22, 2015

Come to Oklahoma...you can get hired here.

18. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Jul 22, 2015

This.

I emailed on a Thursday at 8am on the dot about positions that weren't even listed then rolled back over to sleep. About 15 minutes later my phone is buzzing on the nightstand with my new P calling about my email telling me they just had a 4th grade position open up and if I was interested.

I specifically said K-3 in my cover letter but they said they liked my resume and still wanted to see if I was interested because no one is emailing that early. I said yes, interviewed the next day and got a call from the P later that they were recommending me to HR.

19. sped_teach_tx

sped_teach_tx Rookie

Jul 22, 2015

Are you in the SA area? Also, what would this email that I would send out to Ps look like and consist of?

20. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Jul 22, 2015

I'm in Houston. I just emailed my resume and cover letter - dated, addressed to that specific principal and school. In my body of the email I chopped down my cover letter and added in why I'm asking about specific positions and what I could bring to the table.

That's for the blind emails with no positions I wanted advertised. If something was advertised, I said I applied and wanted to reach out to them personally on y interest and again say what I feel I can bring and why I want the position. Maybe like 2 lines were copy/paste from my cover letter. But it was enough to make them read it and then open my attachments.

Later, a week or so if the position is still up I emailed again to say I see that it's still unfilled and to say again that I'm interested to step out of the field of 100s of applications.

21. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 22, 2015

I would email principals. It has worked for me three times in a row. (Before that, schools didn't have websites so I wrote letters. Those worked too.)

22. sped_teach_tx

sped_teach_tx Rookie

Jul 23, 2015

Thanks for the advice! I've been emailing . So far 4 sent out and 1 reply, but that was to tell me the job has already been filled. I'm going to keep on going!!

23. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Jul 23, 2015

That's good! The closer it gets the more they're really looking.

If you see another position at that school apply because now you have a reply your name is in their mind and if you're emailing they know you want to work there and will probably interview you because of the determination.

24. sped_teach_tx

sped_teach_tx Rookie

Jul 23, 2015

Thanks TeachCafe. Now I'm going to start emailing in the district I IA'd at :)

25. Lumi

Lumi Companion

Jul 27, 2015

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions and replies. I just wanted to let you know that things are hopping for me now. I have one district that is really on the ball with sending the applicants to their principals so as soon as my application was sent out I was receiving multiple phone calls per day. I've had three interviews so far and only one turn down. I interviewed with an early childhood school today and it felt like a perfect fit and I think I really impressed them during my interview. Crossing my fingers.

26. horned_Frog89

horned_Frog89 Companion

Jul 27, 2015

Woohoo! Good luck! I'm sure you impressed them!