In my classroom we have some challenges

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Myname, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Myname

Myname Comrade

Nov 22, 2006

One challenge is a child who will on purpose talk baby talk, go and hide when we want him to come to group. Will run around the circle at circle on purpose. Will go into the middle to try and get attention. Will dig into the teachers stuff and throw it on the floor. (we have a spot that holds calendar items etc for circle time)Then I ignore it and then another child will try and I tell him or her to stay in their spot and that usually works for them however this one child is being very distracting. WE have put him to the table to do a puzzle or something quiet and I think too we need to have him sit with us period this is group time. He thinks he is being cute and he is NOT. I do not find this behavoir cute at all.

Any suggestions to how to deal with this?

3. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Nov 22, 2006

What I foun helpful when I was teaching K and I had a child like this was to make the child sit next to me during circle all the time. Most of the time he would be my "helper"...ie. he would give me the bag with the calendar numbers, he would take the children's job helper nametags in a basket to each child when it was their turn to pick their name and a job, etc. Of course I gave the other children turns to do the same but we had a class discussion that this was Johnny's job because he needed something to do with his hands and to keep him focused. The other children were as understanding as you could expect Kindergarteners to be:rolleyes: , but I think they too noticed and appreciated the difference in behavior. We had many quiet circle times after that. Not all of the time, but definitely much more than before.

Good luck:D

4. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Nov 25, 2006

You need to get this child involved with the activity of what is going on at your circle time meetings. Also talk about what is expected in the classroom. Do this in a postive manner with the entire class.