In math, do you use a textbook and if so do you work sequentially?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by ozteach, Feb 10, 2007.

1. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Feb 10, 2007

I'm wondering about this as I do my programming for the year. I have a great text, that covers all topics necessary. It kind of bounces around from topic to topic, but has fairly well structured units and obviously builds on concepts throughout the year. We are expected to complete the text throughout the year.

However, it seems that not all teachers use the text sequentially (ie start at page 1 etc). I really can't see a reason to reinvent the wheel on this one. I will definitely provide extension activities and groupwork in addition to the text work, but I can't see a reason to pull the book apart and program the hard way!

do you program with the text sequence, or do you pull it apart and work it out or yourself? Am i being lazy?:eek:

3. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Feb 10, 2007

We don't use texts except as teacher references, but we do have a curriculum we must cover over a 2 year period. We use resources from all over and it would be frowned upon to just follow a text.

In my school we will sometimes swap subjects to suit our integrated studies topic. For example, we will work with large numbers and distance during our space unit, negatives during a commerce unit, speed and fractions of time during a sport unit - anything that will help the learning in context.

Apart from that, though, we stick to the same order year to year, basically. As you say, why reinvent the wheel?

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 10, 2007

Our district has a sequence they would "like" us to follow, and it does not follow the sequence of the book. I use the district sequence as a guide, but then go with my best judgment.

I rarely use the textbook in class, but will use some of the accompanying homework pages for practice or homework assignments.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 10, 2007

I don't think you're being lazy at all. I follow the sequence of my text (though students don't use the text, only workbooks). I add in fun things once in a while, or holiday-related stuff. I also do calendar math in which we review concepts, terms, figures, etc., and a math problem of the day to get in more problem-solving.

Occasionally, I have moved geometry or probability around to fit in better with our schedule, but I won't this year because my morning math routine helps me cover the basics of those before we ever even get to those chapters.

6. darzie

darzie Companion

Feb 10, 2007

We use the Everyday Math series, which must be followed sequentially. After teaching from a text and teacher-made materials for 20 years, I was quite skeptical about this new program. I've used it now for 4 years, and I must say, math scores in our district have soared. It teaches the kids how to think. I do use supplementary materials, as needed, for reinforcing computation skills, as I feel the program lacks a bit of that. When I used to use the textbook, I followed the order in the book for the most part, but skipped around just a bit, to follow the curriculum.

7. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Feb 10, 2007

I don't use a workbook in second grade anymore because they often only offer 1 page per skill, but when I did I NEVER followed the sequence they had because the same things kept getting squeezed in at the end of the year or never covered at all. Also sometimes the order they provide isn't best for every group of students.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2007

It depends on the textbook and the course.

In math 7, I'm the only teacher of the course, so have free reign of what to teach when. (We give departmental trimester exams, so the kids in a particular course need to be at the same point at the end of each trimester.) But I like the book and the order is logical, so for the most part I've gone sequentially.

Precalc is a different story. We've chosen to omit some topics entirely, since they were taught last year. We've jumped all over the book in the hopes that the Seniors would see the harder topics before "Senioritis" struck... it makes life easier for all of us if the more pleasant topics come at the end of Senior year.

Remember, textbooks are written by publishers, not necessarily by classroom teachers. Nothing should be carved in stone.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2007

I use bits and pieces of two textbooks jumping around somewhat. We are required to report on each of the math strands (we have 5) at least twice during the year, so I need to manipulate what I am covering to ensure this. Also, with my grade 7 and 8 students, I often tweak my math topic to reinforce their science (for example, if they are required to use ratios in their science unit, I will be sure that we have done it in math).

10. 2ndgradebluejay

2ndgradebluejay Rookie

Feb 10, 2007

I have so far this year. We are getting ready to start 2 digit subtraction. I think that if I didn't go in the order it was presented my class would have been lost. Next year I am already thinking of how I want to teach. I will be able to skip around because the class is more easy going and I will have an understanding of the math program.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 10, 2007

Before you just follow the book, get out your standards and check to make sure each one is covered well. Also check to see if there is a built in spiral review. Very few students can learn something in the beginning of the school year and still have perfect mastery at the end without constant review.

My textbook covers some standards that the kids do not have to know in second grade and has nothing on a few standards that they do have to master. I use the math text as review during bell work.

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 10, 2007

Last year we had a math book that didn't really follow a logical sequence on how to teach math to 2nd graders. So we (our grade level) decided to skip around to make a more logical flow. We now have the Harcourt series and love it. It follows a logical sequence. We (as a grade level) sat down and made our curriculum map. This eliminated the extra stuff that's not needed and helped us find where there were gaps (really not many). While I do supplement when my students need extra practice, or if we do a seasonal type of math lesson, I mostly stick to the book. Our book is wonderful, and that's why we chose it. Due to our curriculum map we know that there are pages in the workbook that are not needed, so we skip over them. Often I'll send some home as extra practice, or if students get finished early they know they can work on those pages.

13. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Feb 10, 2007

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think to start with I will use the book sequentially. All of the outcomes I have to assess are covered well and the skills are definitely built up. I guess since this is my first year with this grade I'll see how it goes and tweak it if I need to next year.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2007

That makes a lot of sense. Next year, you can see what needs to be moved and why.

15. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Feb 11, 2007

I use our text books a lot. We just got new ones and they're really good, but the first 6 chapters have to do with decimals and the kids get so bored with that. We've moved around a lot. We're doing fractions right now, then we'll move to algebra (since it's on their state test), then do some other stuff. I kinda move around where I see holes in their learning or I know they need the skill soon.

16. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Feb 11, 2007

I use the text as a guide and for practice, but do not teach it in order. I was very frustrated with our book when they taught (reviewed) multiplication in chapter 3, then division in chapter 4, then multi-digit multiplication in chapter 20! I move it around and teach all of the multiplication first, then all the division.

17. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Feb 14, 2007

I use Everyday Math, too, and I follow the book. I also really like Problem Solvers. Does anyone use it? I haven't convinced my school to buy it yet, but it is fantastic. I supplement with other things and lots of math games during Centers.

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 14, 2007

What is it - a separate workbook?

19. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Feb 16, 2007

The math books in our school are horrid. They are so old and a new series needs to be adopted. I rarely use it but I do follow the sequence.

20. AngelHead

AngelHead Comrade

Feb 16, 2007

I don't use a math book. My district is in the process of adopting a new math program and the old books don't fit my needs. If you have found a good text, go with it, just don't be afraid to venture away from it if you need to.

upadaisy, a workbook it's a collection math worksheets that go along with the math textbook. In most cases every student has one and can write in them and tear out the pages to turn them in. I don't use them but I did when I was in elementary. I'm sure it must get expensive to order new notebooks for every child every year but they could also be very handy, I suppose.

21. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Feb 17, 2007

Upsadaisy, were you asking what Problem Solvers is?
    It goes by grade and I think they suggest 1 problem a day.
    Basically, they are story problems, but you teach them HOW to solve - I think there are 6 or 7 ways:
    Draw a picture
    Work backwards
    Act it Out
    Make a graph
    Make a chart
    Make an equation
    Use objects
    (Maybe another I'm not thinking of, too)

They are of varying difficulties, but even the really smart kids need to use the strategies that are taught for a lot of them; you can't just figure the problems out instantly.

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 17, 2007

Yes, problem solvers. I guess I meant, is it a daily chart thing with a problem of the day or just another workbook? I have my kids do a problem of the day for morning work so I'm always interested ....

23. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Feb 17, 2007

There's a teacher's book and a set of blackline masters. They come 2 to a page, so you could do as many as you want. I don't think it comes in a workbook, but I'm not sure. I guess you could copy it onto the board if that's how you do the problem of the day.
    Here's a link:
    www.wrightgroup.com

24. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 18, 2007

Thank you, Ms.T. Next year I might be teaching all math ....

25. JCB

JCB Rookie

Mar 11, 2007

I looked into the 2008 problem solvers program. It does look awesome. Does the teacher's guide have the worksheets to run off that are in the student workbooks or do you have to order the student workbooks? I love how it teaches the different problem solving approaches.

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2007

Cool:D :D :D

27. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 11, 2007

Alice - I need help with functions. Could you give me a short course?

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2007

Sure. Could you narrow it down a little? Is if for the SAT? Do you know what you want to know about them?

(Basically, there are about a bazillion different types of functions, and lots of stuff you can do with them... that's why I ask.)

29. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 11, 2007

Where would you start off teaching the topic (Alg I or II)? Just the basics. Sorry I can't narrow it down. That's how uninformed I am on the subject. Yes, it is coming up for my SAT tutoring student.

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2007