in line talking

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by teacher110, Jul 1, 2010.

1. teacher110

teacher110 New Member

Jul 1, 2010

how to handle a line of students waiting to ask you a question, while you are working with an individual student, the others get chatty and louder and louder. how do you manage that situation

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2010

You need to set procedures and classroom expectations in place. For instance, when I am conducting reading conferences with a student, I might wear a Hawaiian lei to indicate to students that this is not a time to come ask me a question. Standing in line is a waste of productive time...Kids know what choices they may make while waiting for me (quietly ask a classmate for help, read independently). You could also have students write their names on your whiteboard so you know who is waiting for you. You could also have some kind of 'signal' on kids' desks for them to alert you to their need for help (a name tag which can be flipped up, a green/red cup signal, etc). Kids need to know what is expected of them during work times- chatting and getting louder and louder is not acceptable.

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 6, 2010

Students may need to turn to a partner to seek assistance before receiving your assistance. However, the students need to be trained to never, ever simply "give" a student an answer. They need to learn about genuinely helping another student. I never have my students stand in line. They must continue working, no matter what, even if they have to skip the problem and come back to it.

I also never vow to spend more than one minute assisting a student. I sometimes tell a student I will come back to him or her. It's never been a tremendous problem in my room. It all just falls into place.

5. wrice

wrice Habitué

Jul 8, 2010

....tell them to be quiet...?!?

I'm with Jasztal that they shouldn't be standing in line, idle. They can skip the problem and come back, and raise their hand and I'd go to them. Other options are for the student to find a peer who knows the answer, or to find several kids with the same question, gather them up together at a side table, and give small group instruction.

Keep 'em busy!

6. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 8, 2010

I agree with the above comments...come up with a procedure and students shouldn't be waiting in a line. You could also come up with a cone or something (they sell them in teacher catalogs) that the students turn up on their desk when they need help. That way as you are rotating around the room you can stop and help them without them having to even raise their hands. :D

7. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 11, 2010

I do not have much to add, but in order to help students learn your expectations and procedures, you will need to MODEL the procedure or expectation, have students model it, practice, discuss, etc. A few years ago, I actually compiled a little booklet with several of my most important procedures/expectations. The kids kept it in their desks, and could refer to it later in the year. This also helped when I got new students (and I think I had about 4-5 that year).

8. wendy 31

wendy 31 Rookie

Jul 23, 2010

I have 4 large purple cups that students hold in their hand or have at their desk if they are asking a question of their peer. With a glance, I can tell if they have the cup or don't.