In Home Preschool Rate?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by saralynn2006, Mar 30, 2012.

1. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Mar 30, 2012

Hi Everyone,
    This summer I will be starting an all day, in home preschool. I have my degree in Early Childhood Education with endorsements in reading and special education. I will be licensed through Human Services to have a max capacity of 14 children (with one aide -- who also has a degree). I really don't know how much to charge hourly for this kind of program. There aren't really any in home preschools in the area, just daycare services. Daycares in the area are charging around $2.50 an hour per child, but also are not doing structured activities or any kind of educational program. Breakfast, lunch, and an afternoon snack will be provided for the children everyday. 1-2 projects will be done daily, as well as small group/large group activities. Basically run the same as most preschool programs following Creative Curriculum standards (that is the popular curriculum in my area).

My question to you is -- what do you think would be a reasonable cost per hour for my program? The lady from Human Services said she thought parents would gladly pay more to have their child come to my in home preschool than going to a regular in home daycare, but didn't say what price she thought would be appropriate.

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 30, 2012

In my area if you were open for the children breakfast, lunch and an afternoon snack you would need a license. That is why my preschool has a license and is technically a "daycare" however, I NEVER would refer to my program as such. We are a full day, full year preschool program. Make sure your area will let you go unlicensed past 2.5 hrs.

4. SamIAm

SamIAm Companion

Mar 31, 2012

It's so hard to say as costs vary from area to area. One thing to keep in mind is that, since you are just starting, you need to stay competitive. Once you gain a reputation you can charge whatever you think is appropriate, but people don't know yet what their paying for so it may initially be a turn off if you're charging a lot more.

5. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Apr 9, 2012

My mom and I have talked about doing this in our home in the next year or two. We have called around and found out that most preschools around us charge $25-30 a day for child care, once you calculate monthly rate divided by how many days the child is in school a month (usually around 20). We were going to start with charging $25 a day and see how many kids we got enrolled...a friend is a licensing person and said we would probably be at capacity very soon.

6. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Apr 12, 2012

Sorry I haven't checked this in a while.....forgot I made this thread haha

anyway...we will be licensed before we start anything. I was debating whether to charge hourly rates like most in home programs do around here (that are child care) as opposed to daily/half day rates. What are your thoughts on that? Do you think parents would prefer a straight rate or hourly rate?

7. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Apr 12, 2012

also....what would qualify for half day/full day? I would assume half a day would be less than 4 hours, but full day I would consider to be around 8-10 hours. If I am open for 12 hours a day....would you charge more if a family stays more than 8-10 hours?

8. dragonflym

dragonflym Rookie

Apr 12, 2012

Well at my former preschool we were open 7:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. Our half day was from when the child was dropped until 12:30 p.m. which was our nap time. I would call around to the preschools in your area that are open for the same amount of time you're planning to have your home preschool open and see what they consider half day. Also, by doing this, you can get a price range and perhaps price your place somewhere in the middle of the tuition bracket.

9. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Apr 12, 2012

The only problem is that there really aren't any programs like what I plan to offer in the area. It is either in home child care of all ages ($2.50/hour rage) or a preschool program that runs 5 hours per week (I believe that charged $60 or more a month, plus the parents provide snacks, cups, napkins, etc for the program). There is also a daycare center in the area that charges $27 per day/$14 per half day for preschool age children. Should I go with a similar rate to the daycare center or with the in home programs in the area? It is about a dollar more per hour at the daycare center compared to in home daycares in the area. Do you think parents would pay the higher rate without being upset? I just don't want to start off too high that people get mad, but I also don't want to undercharge so I don't make a profit! :)