In home day care prices

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Butterfly4, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Aug 9, 2010

Hi All,
    I wanted to ask those of you who have in home day care what you charge. I'm just getting mine started in FL and I really don't know what to charge. I have one family interested who has two boys, a 3 yr old and a 13 month old. What does everyone think a fair price would be for two for 6-7 hours per day? They would be coming to me two days a week. I provide snacks, lunch and art supplies.

Thanks!

3. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 9, 2010

I think you are going to find a huge variation in prices all over the country. I am in the midwest and my babysitter charges $70/per week/per child. This is $14 a day per kid. She just keeps a few children in her home. She cooks hot meals for them, no sandwiches, and keeps them late when we have p/t conferences, etc.

4. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Aug 9, 2010

Have you called around to see what rates are in your area in daycares/preschools/mothers day out programs?

5. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 9, 2010

Are you licensed? Thats another thing you need to take into consideration when trying to figure out pricing. I would also take Mrs. Shiela's advice and call around and see what other prices are so you can make sure you arent charging too much or too little. Good luck :)

6. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 9, 2010

I would for sure check around in your area to find out what the going rate is as it varies so much from one area to another (we have discussed this on some of the parenting boards I post on). My son is 11 and hasn't been in care for over 6 years but at the time I had someone do care for him in their home (he was the only child besides her youngest who was still home). He was there for approximately 8 hours/day and I paid about $35/day. $4/hour was pretty standard at that time where I lived.

7. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2010

I pay $350.00 a week to have someone come to my house and watch my twins. I would pay less if I had to take them somewhere. We obviously supply all of the food, toys, etc.

If you are having children in your home you would want to be insured and that should factor in to the cost.

8. KateA

KateA Rookie

Aug 9, 2010

I live in northwest Florida, and I pay $130/week for my 14 mo old. The prices also vary by age, so by three years old someone will probably pay for $100-120/week. Also I bring him to a small day care center, but I've found that around here they charge the same as in-home day cares. But.... that's for full time. So basically I'm useless to help you figure out specifically what you're looking for. Also, drop-in rates are $5/hr at the center. Maybe $70 for 2 days? That sounds about fair in this area of Florida.

Check with your county's child care referral center. They might be able to give you specifics.