in desperate need of ideas...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Emerson Squirl, May 11, 2009.

1. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

May 11, 2009

:help:
    My parents' wedding anniversary is next week. Normally, my sister and I take them out to dinner or surprise with a present or do something to celebrate. Our system has worked great for the past 24 years, but now we have run out of creative ideas for their 25th. They deserve something special- not unlike every other year, of course- but I have yet to figure out what that will be.
    Anyone have any ideas?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 11, 2009

Can you get them tickets to a night in the city (whichever city that might be??)

I'm 40 minutes from NYC. So I might consider:
    -- tickets to a Broadway play, with or without an overnight stay
    -- a night in Atlantic City

Would something like that work?

If not, how about tickets to something more affordable?

4. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

May 11, 2009

how about a limo ride somewhere...or are they old school, like me and think that would be a waste of money. :D

5. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

May 11, 2009

They would probably think there's better ways to spend money. And they just went to the show I was thinking we could treat them to. Plus, when you live where I do, the city isn't much of a trip. But maybe I could check the theaters to see what other performances are playing....
    Thanks for the ideas! Keep them coming!

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 11, 2009

A spa treatment? A weekend away somewhere special? Get a mini-reunion put together with guests from out of town? Have a portrait done?

7. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

May 11, 2009

Hi Emers,
    How about if you can find out...:cool:
    -Where they met...
    -Their favorite songs while they were dating...
    -Their favorite food...
    -Their fav drinks...
    -What was their fav hangout while they were dating...
    -A movie that came out during the yr they got married...
    -ETC...The HIT SONGS during the month they got married...
    ...THEN DECORATE a place; one of your rooms in your house or your sister's OR any SPECIAL PLACE with all that stuff, take them there and SURPRISE them with all of the above!! It :Dwould be something different UNLESS you already did it.
    Good luck,
    Rebel1

8. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

May 12, 2009

Thanks everyone for your ideas. So far I'm thinking that I can somehow roll all ideas into one great night for my parents. Good thing I have long distance with my phone plan...

9. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

May 12, 2009

My cousin kept a formal banquet for her parents on their 33rd anniversary. It was a huge surprise and it was wonderful.

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 13, 2009

I tried to convince the grandkids to put on a play of their grandparents life. They wouldn't do it, but I think it is a great idea.

11. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 13, 2009

How about contacting everyone you know and have them send cards, emails, or be willing to call the day of their anniversary. Then you can put them in a predecorated album. My mother lost my father a few years ago. On what would have been their 40th wedding anniv, a friend did this for my mom. She loved it. It made my dad not being there easier to handle.

12. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

May 14, 2009

Got VERIZON?:D
    Rebel1

13. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

May 18, 2009

How about a collection of photos, complete with anecdotes?

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 18, 2009

OK, I guess it's too late to post my ideas since you started this thread last week, but I would have said:

- weekend getaway
    - his & her watches
    - surprise party
    - take them both on a shopping spree (spent a certain amt on ea)
    - something they'd NEVER think of doing themselves in a milltion yrs
    - hot air balloon ride
    - a day of wine tasting & a picnic

So, what did you end up doing?

15. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 19, 2009

I'm too late also, but one of my friends also had a 60th(!) anniversary party for her parents and sent invitations saying, if you have a photo of her parents bring it, or if you can't come, send it. When we got to her house for the party, she had a big table set up with scrapbook materials (paper, pens, stickers, all kinds of things) plus extra photos of her parents and everyone made a scrapbook page, with pictures, anecdotes, best wishes,and at the end, she put them each in a sleeve and compiled them in a big nice binder. People just kind of rotated in and out from the table and it really was alot of fun. Her parents loved it

16. Emerson Squirl

Emerson Squirl Rookie

May 21, 2009

My mom just called to say thank you for last night. She kept saying it was all so wonderful and thoughtful and such. For those of you who are wondering, I flexed my best "teaching" skills and "borrowed" what I could of your suggestions.
    My sister cleaned the entire house- she lives at home so this was her idea of a gift- and set up the backyard. We had planned to decorate the patio area with chalk and pictures and serve dinner. My sister lost her confidence with her meal plan, but fate seemed to have an entirely different plan in mind because a storm rolled in from nowhere about half hour before my mom came home from work. My boyfriend came to our rescue by calling to reserve the most romantic seat at a local Thai place my parents just recently discovered. In the mean time we purchased some flowers and finished our card complete with the real gift for the evening. The 3 of us met at the restaurant to drop off my debit card and set the table with our card and gift. Our efforts must have really impressed the mother/owner because she kept cooing over our setting. We left the place probably just in time to miss the parents' arrival and surprise to find flowers, a card, and a note explaining that they had tickets to a jazz concert in August in another city.
    I wanted to kind of recreate the weekend getaway they did every summer for the arts fest in that city but hotels there now are way out of our college-sized budgets. Plus, they don't often attend concerts, especially at a venue as intimate and romantic as a church in the mountains.... I'm actually quite jealous and impressed.
    Now what am I going to do next year???