In deep trouble

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jem, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 18, 2009

Ok. I'm totally dying over here in regards to Christmas.

I wanted to get dh a Bowflex. They are very pricey, so I tried to find one on Craigslist. No luck. Well, I waited way too long to realize that, and it's now Friday. We leave on Tuesday morning for Michigan, so we're probably celebrating Christmas on Monday.

I told him about the Bowflex idea, because I didn't know what kind to get him, etc. He liked the idea, but again, it's just too much money. So now he knows I have nothing for him.

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I feel like such a failure. I'm so stressed out in all areas of life, and this is the icing on the cake. He says he doesn't want ANYTHING, which makes it worse-no list, no ideas, nothing. :(

3. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Dec 18, 2009

There's no place you can order it and make payments? Every time I see it on tv, commericals, they talk about a payment plan.

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 18, 2009

We don't want to pay that much, period. We're pretty frugal, so I'd only want to pay about 350/400 for one.

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 18, 2009

What has he complained about needing, or wishing he had, but didn't, throughout the year?

A number of years ago, I realized that I was always saying to myself, "gee, it would be nice to have ______", but come Christmas, I could never remember what those things were. These things were usually little things...kitchen gadgets or home decor items that I would like, or would make life easier, but I'm not willing to spend money on. I figured that other people were the same way so I started paying attention to those moments and writing down what people said they'd like to have throughout the year. It's made Christmas shopping soooooo much easier.

Think hard...is there anything he's mentioned, maybe while doing some project, that you could get for him?

Option 2: Sears sells a BBQ set that's the ultimate man gift. The handles are craftsman hand tool handles, and the cutouts in the spatula, and the bend in the top of the tongs are in the shape of wrenches. I got a set for my uncle last year and he was so excited he literally ran across the street to show them off to the neighbors right then and there. He pulled them out for MONTHS any time somebody new came to the house. In addition to being cool, the set is really high quality.

6. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Dec 18, 2009

:eek: How much is it? I always assumed it was about 300.

7. Liljag

Liljag Companion

Dec 19, 2009

Can't you put the money you have saved up to buy it in a jar with a picture of the bowflex on the front of the jar (and maybe fotoshop a picture of your husband standing next to it)? Then a letter (sealed with a kiss of course!) that states that you will put such and such amount towards it every month so that next year he will have it? Then buy him a book on excercise ( so that he has something to read/do until he gets the bowflex!) Of course you can state it probably better than me but you get the gist :).

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 19, 2009

Well, the cheapest one is $700. The most expensive is $3,000. Our present limit is usually about $350-400. Soooo.... The cheapest is just ok-apparently it doesn't have the pull down bar he wants.

I really like the idea of the grill. I'm going to call my mom tomorrow and discuss it. They have pretty good insight. I do like the idea of the grill though....

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 19, 2009

Jem...I'm sorry, it was late...the BBQ set I refered to was the cooking utensils. BUT...a nice grill with the craftsman utensils would be awsome.

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 19, 2009

HA! Well, we have the tools. We grabbed them after our wedding, and they are beautiful. So I suppose it's time we get a grill to use them on. ;)

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 19, 2009

Well, I'm happy that I was able to give you a good idea anyway. Let us know what you eventually decide on :D

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 19, 2009

A boy and his grill...

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2009

OK, Jem, let's go shopping!

Amazon is still promising they'll get stuff to you by Christmas Eve if you order today. So tell your husband that you had everything shipped to Michigan, and that you'll have to celebrate Christmas there.

As to what to get him, consider a Kindle:
    http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wirele...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=505866131&pf_rd_i=507846

or an IPOD
    http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPod-Ge...8&s=electronics&qid=1261223912&sr=8-2-catcorr

or a Wii
    http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Nintendo/..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1261224109&sr=1-1

or tickets to a show or some sort of an event playing locally.

Or make reservations for the 2 of you to get away for a weekend in January to someplace romantic.

Do I remember correctly that he works in finance? How about a new suit?

14. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2009

Alice has awesome ideas!
    To add to hers:

You have a new home, right?
    How about something for one of your walls (picture, clock, etc).
    Tools or tool machine?
    hammock?
    lawn chairs?

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2009

16. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2009

Get him a fixed gear bike.

17. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2009

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2009

Just do something romantic- take him on a tour of your 'firsts'- our first night out in SF, the first place we ordered pizza, a copy of the first movie you ever saw together...make it personal and romantic- I think so much better than used exercise equipment from Craigslist...

19. reverie

reverie Companion

Dec 19, 2009

What's he interested in? They have those book readers by Barnes and Noble for about $250. What about a new phone? I do like the gps idas that Sarge had.

20. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2009

I haven't bought anything for my husband yet-and I'm pretty sure he knows. You still have a few days to get something.

I usually get a lot of smaller things for my husband. I try to think about those everyday things he says he wants but doesn't usually buy for himself.

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2009

Jem~my husband is the same way. He always says he doesn't want anything. This year I got him a new wedding band, a GPS system (on sale at WalMart), and long sleeve shirts that he'll need when he starts student teaching/teaching. I'm going to try to get him at least one for each bday, anni, Christmas present so by the time he starts teaching, he'll have a nice wardrobe.

22. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 19, 2009

Great ideas!!

Kindle-doesn't read. I'm trying to get him more into books, but he's on his iPhone constantly and probably wouldn't carry one around. I'D love one, though!! ;)

iPod-has one. I'm about to steal it, but he never uses it anyhow.

Wii-apparently his parents are thinking of getting us one, which I'm dreading. I'm not sure how much he would use it. He was joking with a co-worker about an X-Box, but I'd have to think long and hard about bringing one of those into the house.

Tickets-great idea! I'm going to research.

Trip-another great idea! Maybe I can find a bed and breakfast up in Napa.

Suit-He wears jeans and polo shirts to work (advertising). I thought about getting him great clothes from Macy's, and it's still rolling around in my head. I mentioned it to him and he brushed it off, but I think he might really like it.

Wall stuff-his art is everywhere, haha. We hung it last night, and there is not a spare inch on these walls.

Tools-another great idea, but he might be getting ME tools. I asked for a power tool kit for Christmas, so if he doesn't get them for me, I'll pull this out for his birthday.

Hammock-another great idea! He had a hanging chair at one point, but I'm not sure where it went... maybe a hammock and a bbq?? Our weather is nice enough year round....

Lawn chairs-we've been looking for these, but they are pricey! He's a snob, so he only goes for teak. Good thing to keep my eye open for, though-it's def. the season to get them.

Norditrack-again, he's a snob. He has his heart set on Bowflex.

Watch-he's mentioned wanting a watch, but I can't remember the brand!! I need to write things down like you said, mmswm. Boo.

Bike-Sarge, if I have to live with one more bike in this house, he's going to get knocking on your door, asking to crash at your place.

GPS-He has a very fancy watch he uses for this. He 'won' it at a work silent auction for $50 (apparently worth hundreds). No one knew what the heck it was! Hahahha.

List of first-very cool idea, czacza. I'd have to think reeeeeally hard about this, because I have a terrible memory. There are place in SF that he's wanted to go, so maybe I combine the trip idea with those places.

Great ideas, guys! Let me know if you think of any more. I'm baking today, but I'll be on periodically.

23. irx7fani

irx7fani Rookie

Dec 19, 2009

If it's a watch, u can ask ME! I can definitely help in that department!

24. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 19, 2009

ACK!

I hear from the other room 'I DON'T WANT A GRILL!!'

The posting came up in a Sprout google alert in his e-mail. I even took my signature off. Sigh.

25. janlee

janlee Devotee

Dec 19, 2009

Give the best gift of all---from your heart---and it doesn't cost a cent. Write a beautiful poem or letter telling your husband how much he is appreciated. I received lovely gifts from my students but the one that I will treasure the most this year is a Christmas card with a message from a mother telling me how much she appreciates all I have done for her daughter. Priceless!

26. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 19, 2009

One year I bought my parents some gift cards to all the restaurants they liked. I wrote my memories about going there with them as a child, and what they meant to me. They loved it.

Go the safe route and buy him clothes, wallet, food.

How about a Boss CD player, radio, or etc?

Ask you mom to pick up something.

Good luck.

27. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 19, 2009

Or just give him something personal. Very, very personal.

28. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Dec 19, 2009

My two younger sons are a result of this type of gift. :D

29. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2009

Jem, have you tried Ebay?

30. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

31. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2009

How are AtoZ postings coming up on your DH's Sprout google alert? Is there some way you can block?

32. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2009

If he doesn't have a wetsuit, you can get him one. Or if he's using a cheap body glove surfing/kayaking suit, get him a good tri/open water suit.

Then sign him up for the Tiburon Mile to go with it.

33. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 19, 2009

Here, I will help out. Jem's husband--TELL JEM WHAT YOU WANT FOR CHRISTMAS.

34. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Dec 19, 2009

Call me straightforward, but... if someone really won't tell me what he wants for Christmas, says he wants nothing, won't give me any ideas, and I didn't have any ideas already...then he would get nothing.

It seems a bit passive aggressive to say "I don't want anything" when you know someone has to get you a gift or they will feel like a heel. It leaves the other person in a no-win situation. I wouldn't like it if someone left me in a no-win situation. That just seems mean. Not very Christmas-y at all...

35. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2009

EEK...remember the google alert...he might really want nothing or he may simply just not know what he might want ( I truthfully didn't ask for anything this year but finally told dh to get me a DayTimer, a new pair of sunglasses and a Victorias Secret gift card-which he says ends up being another gift for him:blush:). Jem and her husband just moved, she seems to be under some job stress- Probably simple is best. My dh and I kind of clue each other in on what we might be getting for each other for the holidays (plus our anniversary is a week before Christmas). We tend to get what we want/need as the year goes by so by the holidays it's about our kids and family...We end up getting 'house' presents, things we'll all enjoy. The holidays ARE stressful enough though without being in 'present hell'...obviously J wants to get her dh SOMETHING...again, personal but simple gifts are usually the best...that's the way I'd go.

36. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 19, 2009

I got hubby one of those clocks that shine up on the wall with the temp & time. I'm not sure who likes it more me or him I wake up in the middle of the night there's a nice(not too bright) red time up on the wall. It is fun to watch the temp drop in the winter...LOL!!!

37. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2009

and then stay all warm and snuggly in bed...I hate hate hate getting out of my warm nest on cold wintery mornings...tomorrow will be one- I'm headed off to snuggle down now.

38. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2009

Jem - Give him an IOU for the Boxflex, and start checking Craiglist in February - all the people who got them for Christmas should be giving up by then! :D

39. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2009

Or feel bad when hubby has to get out of bed & I get to stay in. I call it my cocoon!!! LOL!!!!

40. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2009

Too bad you're not in Idaho-I looked up Boxflex on Craigslist and found quite a few for under $400. Did you try searching other cities close to you?

41. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 20, 2009

Mrs. K-what a great idea! Ha!

We decided on splitting the cost of a really nice digital camera and lense he wants. We'll put forth a bit from our bank account as his gift, and then Sprout will cover the rest, as he'll be taking much better pictures of our products with it. Which is a gift to me if he actually does take the pictures-what a pain that is!

He also wants a solar charger for his iPhone, so I'll order that when we get back from the holidays.

Only my posts show up in his Google alerts, because of my signature. It contains 'sprout classrooms', and he has it set up to let him know anytime that phrase is used on the internet anywhere so we know if we are getting any press. That's why I delete my signature sometimes-I don't necessarily want personal posts coming up when people search the business.