In-Class Websites (similar to websites for students, but different)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by pwhatley, Jun 27, 2010.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 27, 2010

I may answer my own question here, but here goes. I am looking for an easy way to provide my first graders (urban, low socio-economic, non-computer homes) with links to the sites they can access during computer rotations. While I might have 2 or 3 who have an idea about how to use a computer, I generally have to teach them everything from what is a mouse on. I have 4-6 student computers in my room. They are networked, but we don't have a common server for storage. It gets really old going to each computer and setting up shortcuts & icons each time we change topics, but if I have too many on the desktop, they get lost in them. I'm planning on having "computer experts" next year, so the kids can "ask three, then ask me," because last year, I got a lot of "Mrs. Whatley, I need help!" when they had accidentally exited the site/program, and all they needed to do was get back in. I guess I'm mainly trying to streamline the process of changing what they have access to, make my students more self-sufficient on the computers, and make it easier to provide access to truly topical activities for my kiddos. Does any of this make sense?

I've thought of making a website, but am concerned about which of the free sites the school's censor program will allow my students to access from school (we don't have access to the school during the summer).

I am hoping to include access to powerpoints, kidspiration, and smartboard files as well, although I may just have to do those by manually pasting them onto the desktops when needed.

I'm also looking for (free) resources for teaching primary students about computers.

There, I don't want much, do I? :whistle:

3. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Jun 27, 2010

http://www.portaportal.com is a great way to have all of your links in one place. It has categories to help organize your links, and folders can be added within each category. It is so easy to add the links, and it even has a feature where it will quickly check each link for you to make sure the links are working. Teacher Chele, on AtoZ, suggested it earlier this summer, and I used it for my Summer School class...it worked like a dream! :)

If this sounds like what you are looking for, please PM me, and I will give you the entry name for mine. I don't have a lot on it, yet, but I know it is going to be an awesome tool for the new year. :)

4. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jun 27, 2010

I'm guessing your district doesn't have a webpage service they want you to use, or you could just do a "students" page on that.

I think you might want to look into www.schoolrack.com - I think it allows uploading documents, its free and school friendly. If it is blocked, it should be easy enough to get your tech people to approve it.

I love wordpress because you have 3 gigs of upload space, but blocking might be an issue with that.

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 27, 2010

I love wordpress, too, ancientciv - but my district won't let us go there. Nope, no webpage service yet - that would be wonderful! I think its coming, though. With the cuts in state funding (thank you BP!) though, it might be a while.

Love and AncientCiv - I'll check both sites. Thanks!

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2010

I use blogger. I have it set as the homepage and each day I post a message to the kids and a link to what they need to do. i love it because they can access it at home. The blog in my link below is also through blogger if you want an idea of what you can do with the site. Oh, and it's free!

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 28, 2010

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 28, 2010

Wow, thanks y'all!