In Awe of Our New Cafeteria Policy

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Aug 29, 2012.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2012

I hate cafeteria rules.

Teachers/employees cannot 'charge' if we are short. The kids can rack up $10, but we can't charge a penny- they know where we work if we done pay :confused: Anyway, they once refused a pregnant teacher her lunch over a QUARTER. She said she would bring the quarter down after she ate. (None of us in the cafeteria had any money on us and they won't let our account be charger, either!) They threw the tray away. CRAZY! :dizzy:

2. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 29, 2012

Now that's just wasteful and pisses me off. How cruel. Every time I forgot my lunch last year the lunch ladies fed me. I never paid for anything. I say feed the kids within reason. I've never seen a kid want 4 plates of food....but feed them if they're hungry!

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2012

The problem is, the Healthy Hunger Free Kids Act gives guidelines - most of these are just to promote healthy eating and promote breakfast and to extend meal offerings for low-income students. Only part of the bill talks about what schools can offer, and even this part doesn't give a ton of directives. The way this is carried out is up to the school nutrition program and maybe the state. So while it might be in the act that the kids have to have 5 servings of certain food groups, I am sure no where in the act does it say that nachos count as a healthy food item or that kids can't have more vegetables if they want them. It's up to the nutrition program to design meals that fall into the nutritional guidelines but that are still filling and satisfying for the kids. In fact, I would send a heads up to your nutrition department that the nacho meal is not getting the job done for your kids.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 30, 2012

I really think it's due more to budgetary concerns. I say that because another change they made was adults pay double the child price for lunch, but now get the child serving--it used to be they would give a bigger serving to adults. One of our higher-ups was once quoted in the local paper saying fresh fruit was a luxury that the kids didn't need.

Our cafeteria ladies are wonderful-they are just following the rules they are given. Their bosses come audit them a lot.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 30, 2012

This does sound ridiculous. I guess I am spoiled that in my school the kids are given portions BUT unless they are on a diet can get 2nd helpings. Also, there is a huge box of fruit from which we all help ourselves. Staff and students. They even give out extra baggies so we can bring fruit back to class with us. Salad is also all you can eat. I have to stay at lunch with my students so I make sure they eat as much as they want. They seem less cranky in the afternoon when they are full!

6. greendream

greendream Cohort

Aug 30, 2012

If we want to focus on reducing childhood obesity, we should be feeding kids more meat and vegetables and less junk like pizza and nachos. More sausage and eggs and less pancakes and Froot Loops. It astounds me what people think is healthy.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 30, 2012

Wow, that is crazy!!!

I think the rule in our cafeteria is that they have to take a minimum of 3 things (including milk). They can take more than that, but they cannot come up for seconds.

I disagree with most of the main dishes. Nachos, cheese sticks, hamburgers, pizza-NOT healthy! They do, however, have a salad bar and fruit every day.

8. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 30, 2012

New this year for us: The kids who bring their lunch must walk through the lunch line before the kids who are eating from a tray so that they can see the "wonderful array of healthy choices available to them." Ugh. Also, the kids eating from a tray MUST get at least one item from the salad and fruit bar, whether they intend to eat it or not.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2012

Wow! This pisses me off! To parade those students through the lunch line...just amazing the stupidity.

Amd I hate, hate waste. I ate ZERO fruits or veggies except for potatoes up until just a few years ago. I had/have major food texture issues. To think of all the food I would have been required to waste. :(

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2012

It reminds me of when I was on free lunch as a child...they required us to go through the breakfast line. So many of us, though, took the tray straight to the dumping window.

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 30, 2012

A couple of years ago I asked about our menus. I had a child with a severe peanut allergy. At the time they were bringing a morning snack to everyone.

I cannot tell you how many times they would send food that contained nuts or peanuts to my classroom. Even after I repeatedly told them that a particular item had nuts. Grrr. . ..

I asked about the menu, it was peanut free. I asked about the kitchen where the food was prepared. Kitchen was not peanut free.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2012

WHY??? My daughter's school has the kiddos with lunchboxes go straight to their tables.