In a planning rut.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by riverdance85, Dec 1, 2013.

1. riverdance85

riverdance85 Rookie

Dec 1, 2013

Hello to all,

Well, I have posted a question like this before but I wanted to ask again, this time I have a better idea of what exactly I wanted to know.

I feel like I'm stuck in a planning rut. This is now the third consecutive time I've taught Spanish I and II. Each time I teach the course, I'm always struggling to find new ideas to keep my class fresh. It seems that my students get bored each time (partly because they don't like Spanish). I want students to want to be in my class.

I have stopped doing some activities because I found that they were meaningless and wasted a lot of time. I also used to give students a lot of paper work.

Does anyone know where (a website or book) I could get new ideas to teach Spanish? I don't like to keep using the same good ones over and over again. I would very much like to have an 'arsenal' of activities and ideas. Right now it is rather limited.

¡Gracias!

3. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

Dec 1, 2013

I don't know if you have any access to an iPad in your classroom but there's a great app called Duolingo.

Actually, I just Googled it... you may be able to access it online and it looks like there is an android app as well. This won't replace your instruction, but if you have devices for students to work on, this might be fun to add in at times as an alternative to direct instruction. You could also do it whole class and project it if you only have device. Just a thought! :)

4. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Dec 1, 2013

Have you tried looking around on Teachers Pay Teachers? There are some great things floating around out there.

5. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Dec 1, 2013

Do you play the ladder game for vocabulary?

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 1, 2013

It sounds like you are being a very reflective teacher and finding out what does work for your students. I would list some of the activities and strategies that work well with your students; this might help us provide other ideas.

I would also suggest showing students how Spanish is useful and something that they need to learn. This might improve their desire to be in class and their motivation.

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 1, 2013

Just as a warning... As a French teacher, I decided to try Duolingo out by myself to see how it was. I got incredibly frustrated at some of the ways I was responding being marked incorrectly. I'm not a fan and wouldn't use it in a class... If I was wanting to learn another language on my own, it might be a fun way to get a basic level of the language, but it's not perfect.

8. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Dec 3, 2013

French teacher here, also in a planning rut! What is the ladder game, please?

Games that work well for me are:

Pictionary -- good for vocab
    Charades -- good for verbs

Review Baseball -- this one is kind of complicated to explain but I think someone else did a good job on another thread if you search for it on the forums, or you can find it on the internet. I believe it is originally from Fred Jones?

Whiteboard races -- I use cardstock inside sheet protectors in place of whiteboards. This is great for practicing verb conjugations, etc.

Here is also a link to a great blog post with ideas for projects: http://www.edutopia.org/blog/world-language-project-based-learning-education-curriculum-don-doehla

9. riverdance85

riverdance85 Rookie

Dec 5, 2013

Thanks to all! I appreciate your feedback. I am constantly worried about making plans that work. I am struggling to keep my head above the water.

I also stress about kids getting bored/not liking my activities because this leads them to not want to participate. That is my greatest fear and I strive to avoid that.

Is it okay to repeat some activities for every chapter (there are 9 chapters for the curriculum)? I always try to introduce something new every day.

Again, thanks to all. I've been teaching almost 2 years now but still struggle to find good activities.

10. riverdance85

riverdance85 Rookie

Dec 5, 2013

I have looked at TpT and I use it. That helps a lot!