In a pinch... need Thanksgiving activity/craft fast

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by srfjeld, Nov 18, 2008.

1. srfjeld

srfjeld Companion

Nov 18, 2008

It just dawned on me tonight that Thanksgiving is next week. I mean, I've known that I have a break coming up, but I've been so focused on preparing report cards and getting ready for parent/teacher conferences that I completely forgot about the kids. I just went out and bought a few books to read and would like to follow up with some sort of craft for them to do on Friday before they leave for their break. A big theme I've come across in the books is "giving thanks/being thankful." I'm a first year teacher... any ideas out there? I've searched here and the web a bit, but just don't have the time to fully explore with grading and the other things I mentioned above hanging over my head. I'm already going to be late to bed b/c of my little venture out to the bookstore.... but I LOVE bookstores! :)

I am so "thankful" in advance! :love:

3. gab

gab Comrade

Nov 19, 2008

What grade do you teach? I don't know if this would be challenging to your students. Make or find a turkey head pattern and have students color/decorate their own turkey head. Students make feathers(with a pattern if you choose) in various autumnal colors. On the feathers students write things they are thankful for, either a sentence or words9depending on age), one per feather. The feathers could then be hole punched on the bottoms as well as the base of the turkey head. A brad could be used to secure the feathers behind the turkey head so students can fan them out. Or they could be glued to the back of the head but that might be messy. Don't know if that helps.

4. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Nov 19, 2008

Placemats are an easy and traditional craft.
    I'm doing a couple native american crafts- tepees, and pouches/bags. We just read about a few different native american tribes in SS, and these are extension activities in the TE.
    I like the turkey idea above using the brad so that the feathers can be fanned out.....maybe we'll do that next week.

5. teacherstudent1

teacherstudent1 Companion

Nov 19, 2008

I did something similar, but had the kids trace both of their hands to make the body and feathers (they overlapped them). They then wrote (or I wrote for them, depending on the student) things for which they were thankful on each finger. I even had one nonverbal student who glued pictures on the body in lu of words.

I've also given each student a construction paper cornucopia and fruit. They wrote the objects of their thanks on the fruit, then glued them in the horn.

6. maroki

maroki Comrade

Nov 19, 2008

We make an "I am Thankful" wreath. I use die-cut leaves in various fall colors and they write something they are thankful for on each leaf. We cut out a circle wreath (out of brown paper) and they glue their leaves around the edges. Depending on the time, we brainstorm things we are thankful at the beginning and we share our wreaths at the end.

7. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 20, 2008

What about a Thank You collage? have them clip out pictures from magazines of items that they are Thankful for.

8. srfjeld

srfjeld Companion

Nov 20, 2008

Thank you for all the ideas! I am going to make hand/foot turkeys. My cooperative teacher made them last year and I just remembered that yesterday... for some reason it was blocked from my memory. I threw one together yesterday and it was super cute!

I'm thankful that this week is almost over! The kids have all next week off, I have parent-teacher conferences on Monday and Tuesday and then I'm FREE!!! :)