In a pickle and need advice

Discussion in 'General Education' started by renard, Jun 10, 2016.

  1. renard

    renard Companion

    Joined:
    May 13, 2015
    Messages:
    208
    Likes Received:
    97

    Jun 10, 2016

    Our 2016-2017 positions are being confirmed next week (I am on permanent).

    However, my spouse has a job that requires occasional moves, and we MAY be moved this August - and without confirmation until that same month. At best, still too far to commute.

    I live my job, I have a good principal, but I *will* go with my spouse if it happens. So, do I tell P? Keep quiet in case it doesn't happen? I don't want to screw myself or burn bridges.
     
  2.  
  3. agdamity

    agdamity Fanatic

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2007
    Messages:
    2,680
    Likes Received:
    450

    Jun 10, 2016

    How likely is it you will actually move? If it's very likely, I would give your P a heads up that you expect to be relocating, but aren't 100% for sure.
     
  4. renard

    renard Companion

    Joined:
    May 13, 2015
    Messages:
    208
    Likes Received:
    97

    Jun 10, 2016

    A complete crap shoot. It's an application process and he's a finalist (both here and elsewhere).
     
  5. Missy

    Missy Aficionado

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2004
    Messages:
    3,669
    Likes Received:
    232

    Jun 10, 2016

    Does your state have a deadline for resigning without penalty? Ohio does, and a district can have your license held for one year if you miss the deadline. Here, telling your principal you may be leaving isn't enough. However, my district is gracious and does not enforce this penalty.
     
  6. renard

    renard Companion

    Joined:
    May 13, 2015
    Messages:
    208
    Likes Received:
    97

    Jun 10, 2016

    No penalty, except that I would need to reimburse about $2000 worth of coursework that I have taken.
     
  7. Rabbitt

    Rabbitt Connoisseur

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2007
    Messages:
    1,877
    Likes Received:
    102

    Jun 11, 2016

    I would keep quiet.
     
  8. MissScrimmage

    MissScrimmage Aficionado

    Joined:
    May 29, 2007
    Messages:
    3,060
    Likes Received:
    538

    Jun 11, 2016

    I wouldn't say anything until it's for sure. There is no use stirring the pot if nothing actually comes of it.
     
    otterpop likes this.
  9. Peregrin5

    Peregrin5 Maven

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2011
    Messages:
    5,770
    Likes Received:
    1,000

    Jun 11, 2016

    I was in a similar situation, but I was able to sit down with my BF and discuss whether we were making this happen or not despite him getting a job or not. We decided we were going to make it happen, and so I gave notice to my principal. But in your case, it doesn't seem dependent on your spouse and more on a different kind of process. If it were me with my principal, I would tell her but tell her I don't know for sure.

    One thing that was mentioned to me is that we have a right to take a "leave of absence" for any amount of time, and the principal can hire a temporary teacher to fill your position until you know for sure, and then they are required to give you your job back if you want it. If you don't end up moving, you can just go back. If you do end up moving, your principal has you covered with a temporary teacher. Take a look at your contract.
     
  10. vickilyn

    vickilyn Magnifico

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2014
    Messages:
    9,679
    Likes Received:
    2,419

    Jun 11, 2016

    I hadn't considered he leave of absence, but that seems like a very reasonable solution. Even asking about it opens the dialog that there "could" be changes, even though you love where you are. Not easy to give concrete advice, but putting out feelers about the leave of absence may cover all of the bases. Best of luck.
     
  11. renard

    renard Companion

    Joined:
    May 13, 2015
    Messages:
    208
    Likes Received:
    97

    Jun 13, 2016

    I really appreciate the replies. I've decided to keep my lips sealed. I don't see anything about non-medical leave of absences in our contracts (I'm not actually in the USA), so I guess we'll just have to hope for the best.
     
  12. mrsammieb

    mrsammieb Devotee

    Joined:
    May 2, 2006
    Messages:
    1,062
    Likes Received:
    101

    Jun 14, 2016

    I have the same situation, my husband worked for a company that moved us quite a bit. When I was sure we were moving I told my principal. But otherwise I kept the information to myself. I didn't want her to not depend on me.
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. Backroads,
  2. MrsL74
Total: 463 (members: 2, guests: 442, robots: 19)
test