In a Funk...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by l8ybugmom, Jul 21, 2010.

1. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 21, 2010

Excuse my pity party but i just have to get this off of my chest:

I have gone two weeks and no interview and this week so far nothing. I have applied, dropped off resumes--one was actually able to hand deliver to an AP, and called. I am growing increasingly heartbroken. I know my story isn't unique. School starts in two weeks. Everyone around me says stay positive but it is getting hard. I did this last summer. I was able to land a position in September that turned out no so great. Although that wasn't a good experience, I did learn a lot and I know that it is possible for me to get a job even after the school year starts. I just hate that this summer I have spent worrying and trying to get another job. I'm furious about my situation--I know I worked hard for my previous school and I honestly do not know why I was non-renewed. I believe things happen for a reason.

On to the hand-delivering my resume...So I have been hoping this one school would finally post a job and today they did. Last year I interviewed twice with the school for two different positions. Both times the AP and P seemed to like me but I assumed they went with someone with more experience since I was a new teacher. Today when I saw the posting I called to set up an interview and I was told they would not be interviewing any applicants they had already interviewed but she took down my name and number and wrote out to the side that I now had a year's teaching experience. I got ready and drove up to the school asked to speak to the P or AP and was able to hand deliver to the AP. He remembered me. I told him I had a year's teaching experience, tooted my own horn about students' success, ect. He told me that the position that is open may actually be for 2nd rather than 3rd as posted. I told him that was fine that I love 2nd and 3rd (both true statements) and that because I was a 2nd year teacher I was flexible and willing to go into whatever grade level. Then he mentioned something about fifth, which I told him I also enjoyed and since I was familiar with the curriculum I'd be happy in that grade. He reiterated to me that they would not be conducting interviews with people that they had previously interviewed. I have also emailed a teacher that I know worked at this school to see if he'd put in a good word for me. Anyway...not sure what else I can do. Any suggestions?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2010

Why wouldn't they interview previous interviewees? That part confuses me. I think that you've done everything right in this situation. I know it's hard, but the best thing to do would be to sit back and pray for something to happen with this school. I'm in the same boat that you are...another summer of looking (though I have my aide job to fall back on), no postings up on any district's site so far. I do know that my home district didn't post any specific openings, but there are ALOT of new hires.

4. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 22, 2010

I'm not sure why they wouldn't re-interview. I would think if someone's situation has changed, ie gained more teaching experience, they would want to re-interview that person. I know more now than I did when they interviewed me last year. Maybe they are thinking there must have been a reason for why they didn't hire interviewees in the first place. I don't know.

Hopefully we will get some good news soon! :)

5. smalltowngal

Jul 22, 2010

Crossing my fingers for the both of us!!

That just seems crazy that they wouldn't give you another shot at an interview...like you said, a person changes and grows in a year, with experience, etc.

6. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jul 22, 2010

Wow...I cant believe the wont reinterview candiates. Like you both said, people change and gain experience. I dont get that. I will pray that you hear some good news soon :)

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2010

Fingers and toes crossed for you...its good that the AP remembered you. Hopefully you will be the exception to their "no re-interviewing" rule. I could see not reinterviewing people who they saw this year and didn't like but not those of previous years. That's silly.

8. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 22, 2010

I am lost on why they won't interview candidates they have already talked to etc...that's just odd! I am sending you tons of good luck that your conversation with them will get your foot in the door!

9. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 22, 2010

I have no idea. I feel so lost. I am starting to feel desperate and depressed. This just stinks. I do think it is a good sign that the AP recognized me and I am glad I got to point out to him that I do have a year's teaching experience. I don't know that it is going to matter.

10. smalltowngal

Jul 22, 2010

Well, I just spent the last 30 minutes emailing all the principals in my district about my interest in any future positions. We'll see if anything comes out of it.

11. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 22, 2010

All we can say is... if something comes up suddenly, the conversation that you just had with that VP might ring a bell and he might just give you the opportunity that you deserve. Please stay positive, even though I know you want to cry tears of frustration. It is such a hard time when you WANT something so badly, and just want the break to show people that you are ready, willing and able to do a fantastic job. We just hired a teacher today. She was a perfect fit for our faculty because while we have a lot of great talent in the grade already, they really needed to hire someone with experience. It was their main goal. There were some new teachers with little or no experience that were interviewed, but because our current teachers are all so new, the admin. wanted to find someone like I described. The good news is that this teacher is currently under contract in another part of Texas and that means that very soon her position will be up for grabs. THAT is good news for some very lucky teacher out there!

12. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 22, 2010

That just stinks since in a year a teacher can gain experience, or heck even get a new degree! Hang in there....I'm keeping my eyes peeled for anything out my way for you!! :thumb:

13. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 22, 2010

Thanks, SCT and MommyS! I am trying so hard to keep my spirits up but it is just so hard with less than two weeks before school starts. I just wanted to be in my own classroom with my own students on the first day of school. I know a P gave me a chance before and I know it can happen again. It just seems I had more interviews at this time last year. Do you think it is my non-renewal?

I have applied to Douglas County, GA school district and Cobb...MommyS. We'll see but even they don't seem interested. Thing is, I'm from Douglas but I don't know what school has the opening to network!

14. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 22, 2010

Cobb RIF'd all first year teachers at the end of the year (first year out of college and first year in Cobb...about 250 total) and I hear all jobs being posted are basically being given back to many of those RIF'd.

I don't think it has to do with a non-renewal at all. Sadly, I think it's just the economy. A friend of mine left teaching five years ago here in Cherokee Co to stay home with her youngest child. She is very well known and very well liked all over the county and she hasn't had one interview at all this year! :eek:

Be sure to check Craigslist here in ATL since they post lots of jobs there too. There are quite a few Ga PreK jobs open in our area, but pay will hit right at $30K on those.

15. nattyj21

nattyj21 Companion

Jul 22, 2010

I hope you take some comfort in the fact that I am right there with you. I feel the calendar days just ticking away and I begin to feel even more panicked.
    The fact that no one calls or no matter how hard you try you can't seem to get in the door is frustrating and it makes you question your own validity. It makes me feel like something is wrong with me, even if it is the economy. I think that is what is happening with you questioning whether or not it was your non-renewal status.
    I know in my heart that it is the economy. We were just unfortunate to be job searching in one of the worst possible times. Take heart in that and try to keep the faith! I know I will too!

16. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jul 22, 2010

I haven't read through the whole thread- but I know many postings here say "this is a reposting" previous applicants need not apply. Though I don't know if that carries on from year to year.

17. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 22, 2010

MommyS, I am not certified in pre-k. :( K-6 only.
    Natty, I know I am not alone and I do appreciate your words of encouragement. :) I hope we find something soon!
    Chicago, if something is a repost then the job either wasn't filled or maybe the person they had didn't come through. I think my situation is different. This is a new posting--this school has not had any openings until now for the upcoming school year. I just don't get why they wouldn't want to re-interview someone they had already interviewed in previous years. I've had other schools that I interviewed with last year, interview me this year.

It is out of my hands now and in someone else's. If it is meant to be, it will happen.

18. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 22, 2010

In that case, I will keep looking out for you in this area!

19. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 22, 2010

Just found out the teacher that used to work at the school that I hand delivered my resume to, sent an email! :) Oh I so hope this means something good for me. I'm not going to get my hopes up about this. I've been let down so many times but this is a little bright spot!

20. nogenrewriter

nogenrewriter Companion

Jul 22, 2010

Great! Connections never hurt!:)

21. smalltowngal

Jul 22, 2010

Crossing my fingers or you!

22. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jul 22, 2010

I really hope something happens in this situation for you! I do not think ur non-renewel has anything to do with it. As long as you didnt get fired or go out on a bad note, I dont see why thats a problem. Many people are struggling to get interviews right now, keep positive and keep searching. I know the right position is out there for you :)

23. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2010

Be thankful for the interviews you get.
    In 2 years, I had 2 interviews- and I was lucky. My best friend went 5 years without a single interview! Both of us moved across the country to take positions.

Be thankful you live in an area with some potential and keep trying!

24. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

Hoping for the best for you l8ybugmom and smalltowngal!! You were both there for me last summer when I was going through the same thing! I was hired after school started so hang in there and keep thinking GOOD THOUGHTS!!

25. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2010

Sending some good vibes your way, l8ybugmom!

26. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 23, 2010

Thank you, Everyone, for your words of kindness and encouragment. I do realize how lucky I am to have gotten interviews and for the most part I do stay positive and upbeat about my situation. I have a lot going on in my life right now and I have to find I job. I just hope it is in education.

Thanks again!

27. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 23, 2010

We hope so too l8ybugmom! You deserve a class. Let's hope you get the call for THE school in THE elementary of your dreams. Have you tried private and charter schools too? Or are you mainly sticking to public schools? I would go for them all. You never know when it is your lucky number day!

28. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

I guess they figure the pond is full of fish and there isn't a need on their end to re-interview. It's sad teachers have so little demand.....

29. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 23, 2010

I've mostly stuck to public schools since there are no charters in my area and I am not particularly religious...I feel like I'd be excluded from the private schools. On Monday, I'll have a week and a half before school starts. This has my stomach in knots.

Three weeks and no interview and none scheduled.

30. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 25, 2010

I am not sure what area of the country you are in, but here in NC, the religiously affiliated schools are usually more than happy to hire great teachers no matter their religion. They just have to sign a statement that they are willing to teach religion classes and attend church services with the students. It could be something to look into.

I am so sorry that you are dealing with such a rough time. Just don't give up. There are MANY cases where a school will have more kids than expected and need to add a classroom, a teacher will leave suddenly, etc. Several people I have worked with over the years were hired the day before classes started, and many were hired after the first day of school.

As much as you do not want to look outside of education for a job, you might want to start sending out resumes and things for other jobs that catch your eye if you aren't already doing so.

31. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Jul 25, 2010

I actually got hired the 3rd day of school, so keep positive. I felt the same exact way 4 years ago. The school I was hired at had a high enrollment for Kindergarten and had to open an extra class.

32. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 25, 2010

Yep....hang in there! Two friends of mine here just got jobs this week in public schools. Looks like many are waiting until the last minute to hire! They both said it was very unexpected and quick...interview one day and got the calls with an offer the next! :)

33. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 25, 2010

MommyS--that is awesome! I hope that I do hear some awesome news this week or at least get an interview! :)

The weekends always seem easier because I know there won't be any postings or anything. In about 20 minutes I'm going to send out resumes and cover letters to every school in the county and city districts. They are registering students this week and hopefully numbers will go up and they'll need teachers and I'll be on their mind! :)