Impulsive?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Christine3, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Nov 22, 2008

Hi everyone,
    In my class, I have a girl who pretty much is a chatterbox and blurts out anything that comes to her mind. For example, students were taking a test on Friday...most students were finishing up. She usually takes longer to complete tests. Two other students were complete and came up to me to ask if they can go to library. She yells "Where are you going?" Right in the middle of taking a test. I gave her a nonverbal cue to focus. But, she then says after the students answer..."WHY?" Yes, I know this is nonsense but right in the middle of a test? So I gave her a signal again and pointed down for her to focus on her test.

I am concerned, she takes long to complete these tests and I think it is due to lack of concentration. Although, the limit was almost up for the testing time. I went to check on her to see where she was at, we are using a scantron. On her scantron she had huge circles around numerous numbers. This could not go through the machine...She told me she did that so she could go back and do the ones she did not know. My point is her work is very sloppy, handwriting is lacking fine motor skills.

She repeats the same questions that she already had answers to. That has me confused...she talks extremely LOUD.....

Alright, now I'm rambling I just want some teacher to teacher advice.

Any one ever have this same type of issue?

3. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Nov 22, 2008

Just assuming that you have spoken with her one on one to explain that this behavior in inappropriate, maybe even try a behavior chart (clue the parents in) if all that has been done and she does not seem to be able to correct the situation. Also try a kitchen timer at her desk to help remind her that she has a deadline. If you see no progress in what seems like a resonable time I would recommend her for testing to see if she has ADD issues.

I have had several students like this over the years and some ended up having ADD and some changed their behavior.
    Good Luck

4. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Nov 22, 2008

Hearing problems?
    It sounds like a combination of things, but you can't ask parents about ADD you can ask about hearing problems.

5. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Nov 22, 2008

Thank you both for your advice. ADD did cross my mind on Friday, but I need to do more research on the disorder. Hearing may also be something to consider.

Some of her actions are just very odd and have me confused. When she repeats her own questions I say, you already asked that. She replies saying she forgot... ??

Again, any advice will be appreciated thanks!

6. JustT

JustT Comrade

Nov 22, 2008

If sound is distracting her, try offering her some padded earphones. She may do better facing away from other students when doing assignments (if it's possible) I have a quiet spot in my room where students can choose to leave their desk and complete their work at. Nothing very fancy... the desks face the wall and is a little further away from other students working.

7. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Nov 22, 2008

Thank you, JustT. That is a great idea! I have a round desk in the back of the room, but we have 3 extra desks in the back and one has nothing on it. So that will be easy to set up.

8. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Nov 23, 2008

Does anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Nov 23, 2008

Christine3,

I have almost an identical issue except my student finishes her work. She repeats her own questions and talks to me as I am asking her to stop talking. I'll say "Susie, we are not talking now. I need for you...."where are we going for specials today"... Susie, listen, we are not talking. Please...."do we have PE?" It drives me crazy.

I do believe she has some sort of processing issue. She is bright but I had to pull her desk away from the others and she still lays all over it, sits backwards in her chair, you name it. Pulling her desk a few feet away has REALLY helped with the distractions and the number of times I need to say her name. I reward her a lot with classroom dollars so she doesn't mind where she sits now.

My P told me that sometimes girls exhibit ADD this way. I do have her repeat my directions and that also helps. I am at a loss for the blurting out. I really feel like she just can't help it.

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Nov 23, 2008

Also, she is only 6 so I rarely correct her for the way she is sitting in her chair. Maybe I should but I feel there are bigger fish to fry with her.

11. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Nov 23, 2008

Thanks for replying. I appreciate it :)

I guess, we are dealing with the same type of situation. I really feel like my student can not help it either. But, I want to be able to help her. Do you believe your student has ADD? She also does the same thing in her seat, switching positions, rocking chair, and being the last one to sit down. I have noticed the lack of eye contact she gives when I am speaking to her as well.

I just was just shocked she was that distracted during a test to talk. Again, it is good to know I am not alone. Maybe some other members will have some suggestions.