Impulsive Student~!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Doublescoop, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Doublescoop

Doublescoop Companion

Sep 24, 2009

I have a first grade boy who frequently acts without thinking. He'll bop someone with his cast or poke people with whatever is in his hands. I don't know if he's actually trying to hurt or annoy ppl but he just does stupid things CONSTANTLY without thinking about the consequences. He is a very poor participant in class discussions and activities and is struggling academically. Incidentally, he is the only new kid in our class. I tried a method of putting 5 sticky note "fingers" on his desk with the promise of a reward if he kept at least one of them by the end of the day. (One is removed each time he uses his hands for hurting rather than helping.) It doesn't seem to make any difference at all. Anyone have something else I could try?

3. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Sep 24, 2009

Instead of having a system where you take items away, try giving him the notes. Kind of reverse what you were doing. That way he has to earn the stickys. :)

"Hey, I like how you're sitting Fritz, you've just earned a sticky note. Only four more!"

4. Here2Learn

Here2Learn Companion

Sep 25, 2009

sit him beside the next meanest kid in the class. they usually make fast friends and keep each other in line.