Improving Writing

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by KinderKatie, Apr 4, 2007.

1. lw3teach

lw3teach Companion

Apr 10, 2007

I know alot of people will disagree with me on this one, but I don't mind which medium they start with. If they use a marker, they just cross out or add with a carit (sp?).
    If there is a big issue with what they wrote, we either cover it with correcting tape or they paste paper over it and write again.
    And now I KNOW people might disagree with this one... I don't ever edit for spelling unless it is through conferencing and then it is only one or two words. I am not concerned too much with correct spelling on most words. I would rather that they try to write any word that comes to their mind and not feel any apprehension about it. My main concern is that they are able to read back what they wrote and that they have a sense of story.
    They will have many years ahead of them for correct spelling.
    I say start with books as soon as you can! Won't they be excited to find out that they can create? I am excited for you!!!

2. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

Apr 11, 2007

I completely agree with you! Do whatever you can to MODIVATE the students. I know a teacher who has spent serious bucks on glittery gel pens that she only takes out for writing. It's one thing that is working for me.

Consider all of the skills it takes to write: choosing a topic, creating sentences in your mind, transferring sounds to letters to spell words, using fine motor skills to form the letters...One of the last steps is spelling. Think about your own writing process. When you are typing, when do you click on the spell check icon? At the end, right? Guiding the students through all of the other steps is so important! That's where I'm struggling, so I really appreciate all of the suggestions on this thread! Even though I can theorize how I want to teach writing, it hasn't been working well with my students. I have already ordered the book About the Authors , and I'm hoping to be able to afford the others very soon! Keep sharing!! :love:

3. lw3teach

lw3teach Companion

Apr 11, 2007

Thanks Sue! That was a really nice post! I you really put into words what writing is all about for these little ones.... I bought the pens too and they love them!! I received a set of 100 for Christmas and found another set at Sams Club for $18.00.
    It is an amazing motivator!
    Thanks for your thoughts!
    One other thing that I found worked very well for me and kept the kids writing fresh was the study of non-fiction. We made a non-fiction notebook and explored the conventions of non-fiction: labels, maps, photographs, index, table of contents,captions and closeups. There are more conventions, but these are the one's I focused on. It really helped with how the kids viewed what they wrote. They started making tables of contents and including these conventions in their own writing. It was so neat to see.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 11, 2007

You guys really have some good ideas.

My kids were very bored with writing this year and I had them start writing letters to some kids in a 1st Grade class. I think it's going to help with their transition next year too. The First Grader's are telling them things they are going to do next year and I made copies of cute stationary for them to use. They now look forward to writing their pen pal back.

5. MrsM1

MrsM1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2007

Thank you so much for the ideas and motivation (for me). I appreciate it. I like the idea of cute stationary along with glittery pens & gel pens. I think I am going to start this ASAP.
    MrsM1

6. humptydumptytoo

humptydumptytoo New Member

Apr 13, 2007

Kidwriting

I HIGHLY recommend Kid Writing by Eileen Feldgus. This program is
    fantastic! It takes commitment, but is sooo worth it!