Improving test scores

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by scooter503, Nov 16, 2015.

1. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Nov 16, 2015

We had a data retreat in my district recently to review test scores. We have a pretty high number of economically disadvantaged students, and scores in certain areas were not that great (middle and high school level). We are meeting again soon to discuss what other things we can do to see improvement (there are obviously things we are already doing and have done in the past). Does anyone have any things they've seen be effective or just overall suggestions? It would be nice to have some fresh ideas to bring to the table.

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Nov 17, 2015

What state are you in? What tests are you looking at? Are they new assessments under Common Core, or are they long-standing assessments with stagnant scores?

In my opinion, based on the literature I have read and my own experience, a strong reading program based on high-interest, student-selected text will go a lot further in improving literacy than a skill-based instruction program.

4. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Nov 17, 2015

I am in Wisconsin. We are mostly talking ACT, since we have done away with the WKCE test that was the standard for so long, and last years' test will not be used again.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 18, 2015

One school in our district showed tremendous gains by putting high-interest magazines in each classroom, and starting a few lass periods each day with a nonfiction reading time.

ms.irene likes this.