Improving handwriting, Language arts

Discussion in 'General Education' started by 3Sons, Jun 28, 2014.

1. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2014

Does anyone have some good suggestions for improving handwriting of a 3rd grader who seems to have trouble with making his letters the same size and spacing?

And for LA, improving a 6th grader's accurate use of language? He knows lots of words, but seems to sometimes have a fuzzy grasp on the meaning and uses them at the wrong time.

3. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2014

There's paper you can buy that looks like a grid... that should help. You should be able to find it in Walmart or an office supply store. The one I have is brand Mead.

Accurate use of language - encourage writing, circle misuse errors, have him look up errors, encourage use of thesaurus.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 28, 2014

Unless he's totally oblivious to visual aesthetics, you might look into calligraphy. There's something about a chisel-cut pen that cleans up a lot of people's writing, and the practice sheets that calligraphers use are available by the padful in stores like Michaels. The fact that bona-fide adults use those sheets to practice THEIR penmanship may be helpful. Sheaffer (I think) sells a line of felt-tip chisel-tip pens, but he might fare better with a cartridge pen and a metal tip.

As for accurate use of language, it would be good to have more of an idea whether the words he's misusing are grade-level or not. A fairly standard part of learning vocabulary is getting feedback when one's usage doesn't work (and studies indicate that it takes eight to ten good exposures to a word to acquire it). Find a dictionary or dictionary site that has lots of examples of words in context; you can also certainly discuss with him what word you might have used and why.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 28, 2014

Redispace transitional notebook paper by Mead has helped a lot of my students.

6. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 28, 2014

OT eval may be warranted in the case of the letter shape/formation issues.

Could also try a pencil grip, or raised line paper.

7. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 29, 2014

I have one student, who ended up having to go through fine motor therapy since his handwriting was so poor, but what I would do with him (in science class!) is that I would write out a sentence for him in his science notebook and he'd have to copy it. (He didn't even seem aware that we start at the left side where the vertical line is and stop on the right side where the vertical line is.)

8. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 29, 2014

That sounds like a motor skill issue combined with a visual issue.