Important topics not on the program

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Bored of Ed, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Oct 28, 2008

I'm trying to arrange an event for a student teachers' group at my college, but I don't have any great ideas. I'm thinking of trying to find a guest speaker to present a workshop on something interesting, relevant, and important to teachers that isn't covered in the typical college education course. Any ideas?

One thought I had was Smartboard, because a lot of us took educational technology before our school got one. But I think we can probably do better than that; I don't know how many people that would draw because most classrooms in our area aren't equipped with them. It's important to attract people because it's not a huge college and it would be really embarrassing to have a no-show event...

Any and all suggestions welcome, ESPECIALLY if you happen to know of a good speaker/presenter who is either in the NY area or travels (and isn't too expensive... I'm still trying to work out a budget for this...)

3. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Oct 28, 2008

There was a big turn-out at my college the year I did student teaching when former students came to talk about job search experiences.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2008

In the NYC area, any guidance you can give on actually finding a job would be HUGE.

How about someone from the board of Regents to give an overview on all the mandated testing: which grades take which exams, and what the point is behind each test? I'm guessing this one wouldn't break the bank.

Can you get someone from NYSUT to talk about the Unions, what they do and what they don't??

How about someone from the NYC BOE to talk about the strenghths and weaknessed of NY City schools?

5. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Oct 28, 2008

Yes, I think job hunting would be a topic of high interest. I'm having a hard time finding people who are all available at once...

6. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 28, 2008

How about teaching teachers to help their students use the internet safely, and in all kinds of cool ways?

For that matter, how about teaching teachers to use the internet in all kinds of cool ways, and to protect themselves while doing so? These days, innocent, well-meaning teachers are being sent to the rubber room in droves, because of something computer-related that could have been so easily prevented with some information!

One by One Media does this with schools, for in-service, seminars, and whatever, and they do a great job, too.

7. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Oct 28, 2008

Thanks for the tip, Mamacita!