Important Credential Question

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms. I, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 2, 2007

First, I'll say I'm in CA. I have two credentials: A special ed mild/moderate disabilities & a multiple subjects, each are Level I & preliminary. So I know that those are not renewable (according to the CA Commission on Teacher Credentialing). You must earn your level II by taking additional coursework &/or doing BTSA (or some other induction program).

My situation is that I earned both credentials in 2006 & taught for a year (2006-07 year), but no longer now. I completed one year of BTSA, but I need a second year. If I don't get hired again soon, am I in danger of losing my credentials?!

Have one of you had this situation or have any info about it? Thanks.

3. sciencegirl

sciencegirl Rookie

Nov 3, 2007

I was certified in CA in 2003. I did my "clear" credential right away during my program so that I would be done. So while I didn't face your situation, my understanding having gone through the steps to get a clear credential is that you don't have to be teaching to complete your clear credential. You have to take the coursework (if I remember correctly there were 3 additional courses: one on special education, which you may not need since you are credentialed in that area, one in technology, and one on the US Constitution, which is a one-day Saturday course.) My memory may be wrong... but as you indicated in your post, it is an EITHER/OR option with the BTSA or coursework. So, opt for the coursework if you don't get a position! Hope that helps somewhat...

4. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Nov 3, 2007

If you received your credential in 2006, you have until 2011 to clear it.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 3, 2007

Thank you both for your replies. I know I have till 2011, but I like to be done in plenty of time before it even gets to that expiration year.

6. gr8_life

gr8_life Companion

Nov 4, 2007

I can't speak for SPED credential, but for multi subj prof clear, you no longer need to show days worked OR prof.growth hours to renew your credential. THis is s new ruling (last Jan, I believe).

Funny, they still want your renewal fees though. I guess we'll never get out of that one.

You can verify all this by calling them directly or checking the COMMISSION ON TEACHER CREDENTIAL Web site.

7. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Nov 4, 2007

Thank goodness we no longer have to do the growth hours once we have the prof. clear credential. Unfortunately, both Ms. I and I have to attend the classes or induction program because we are working towards our clear credential. Right now we have the preliminary which requires additional coursework after you complete the credential program. :down: