Important aspects of an urban school?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by shoreline02, Sep 1, 2010.

1. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Sep 1, 2010

I want to see some other views on this. Scale 1-6, 1 being most important.

___Multi-modal, hands-on lessons to appeal to multiple intelligences
    ___Use of technology in the classroom
    ___A relentless focus on standards and having students meet them
    ___Very high expectations for student behavior
    ___Prioritizing each child's interests and passions in designing a curriculum
    ___A focus on college and the skills and knowledge to get there as the ultimate goal

*And what are your thoughts on teachers being paid by student achievement?

3. NCALIFTeacher

NCALIFTeacher Rookie

Sep 1, 2010

Interesting post since I've been thinking the past few days of applying to urban schools. Was this just out of curiosity or is this a class assignment?

___Multi-modal, hands-on lessons to appeal to multiple intelligences
    (1 = Differentiating instruction is my teaching style--especially since I was a former EL--regardless of the school setting)

___Use of technology in the classroom (3 = This can vary depending on the school/district (funds) as well as the general comfort level of the staff in terms of using technology)

___A relentless focus on standards and having students meet them (Needs more clarification. Do you mean teaching to the test? Again, being a former EL this wouldn't rank high on my list)

___Very high expectations for student behavior (Needs more clarification. What type(s) of behavior measures are used?)

___Prioritizing each child's interests and passions in designing a curriculum (i.e. alternative assessments? This is about a 2 for me, but it'll really depend on the school and what kind of support I receive. Probably more ideal for charter schools.)

___A focus on college and the skills and knowledge to get there as the ultimate goal (Needs clarification. Are we talking about being book smart or teaching students to apply/be interested/curious with what they are learning about?)

*And what are your thoughts on teachers being paid by student achievement? Ah, the merit based pay. This is pretty controversial and since I'm not as experienced as other teachers, it is probably best that I say nothing ;)

4. diana

diana Rookie

Sep 1, 2010

For what it's worth, here's my 2 cents. :) What's this survey for, Shoreline02?

1Multi-modal, hands-on lessons to appeal to multiple intelligences
    5Use of technology in the classroom
    4A relentless focus on standards and having students meet them
    3Very high expectations for student behavior
    2Prioritizing each child's interests and passions in designing a curriculum
    6A focus on college and the skills and knowledge to get there as the ultimate goal

*And what are your thoughts on teachers being paid by student achievement? I don't know enough about this to really comment. From what I've read on merit pay, though, it sounds good in theory but unfair in reality (depending on how it's implemented).

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2010

I'm interested to know what this is for too. Do you think this just applies to urban schools or schools everywhere?