Importance of School Prestige

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Bear Knuckles, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Bear Knuckles

Bear Knuckles Rookie

Apr 11, 2012

Hello,

I am currently working on my applications for my Masters in Education/Credential degree. There is a school I really want to attend, but it is very expensive and also hyper-competitive. I may, ultimately, not be admitted.

There are also mid-tier schools that I could apply for as well.

But, there is a lower-tier school that is a lot more affordable as well as flexible. I am interested in applying.

My question to this amazing community of educators is:

How much will my career be affected by the prestige of the school I go to? Will it make it much more difficult to find jobs (I have an amazing professional track record with plenty of people who vouch for my work ethic and abilities)? Will people look down on me because of my lower tier school?

What is your opinion?

Also, a bit of fyi, my career path goal is to teach, administrate, and, hopefully, get a job on the state board of education. I am very intersted in education policy.

THANKS!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2012

In my opinion, it won't matter even a little bit. As long as you go to an accredited school, you're set. That's based on what I've observed. Others may have different experiences.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 11, 2012

If your goal is to teach, Caesar's advice is good. If your interest is educational policy, go to a school that produces alumni who are movers and shakers in educational policy. If your goal is to serve with the state BOE, a higher-prestige school will probably give you a better arena in which to begin making the connections that will get you there.

5. Xidous003

Xidous003 Companion

Apr 11, 2012

I find that the university you attended matters more in some districts than others. For example, one district selected me for an interview based on my experience and my educational background. Some districts could care less. It all depends on who is doing the hiring and how they 'weed out' candidates due to the large volume of applicants.

6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Apr 11, 2012

I don't think it matters. I've never really had anyone ask me about it. My program was great, but I went to a really small private university. If they take the time to look it up, it's highly ranked but especially being out here several states away it's unlikely they've heard of it. I find all I have to say is that I student taught for a full year and that shows them what kind of program I came from.

7. Xidous003

Xidous003 Companion

Apr 11, 2012

I think most schools are locally or regionally known. For example, if you went to the University of Iowa and you were applying for jobs in Iowa...then it might matter...if applying for jobs in Oregon then not so much. I only think nationally recognized schools (such as Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc.) would only have a significant impact on an application.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 11, 2012

When I applied for teaching positions, it was after I had moved to another state where nobody had heard of my (pretty good but small) alma mater. If anything, it was a great conversation piece to discuss with interviewers. Nobody cared that I didn't go to a school they considered prestigious.

9. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Apr 11, 2012

Unless you want policy and govt. job (higher level) then the school does not matter at all.

Exceptions are harvard, yale, MIT. and maybe one or two others.
    There are regional differences for one over the other.

Go cheap.