Importance of first impression

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Marci07, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 25, 2010

My principal has been doing interviews for these last few weeks and today while I was at the main office I got a chance to see some candidates. One of them stood out because of her lack of professional attire. She was wearing a tight blouse, very, very low cut and she was wearing open shoes as if going to a party or something. I was so shocked to see this and I couldn't believe that she was just walking for an interview.

There were two other candidates waiting outside and they looked better dressed but it just makes me wonder about how some people can just lack common sense when it comes to a dress code.

3. Michelle88702

Michelle88702 Rookie

Aug 25, 2010

I saw girls wearing the same type of clothes at a job fair I went to back in March. March in Michigan is still borderline winter and there was a lot of open toe shoes, short skirts, etc. As much as I love my sandals I can throw on a pair of pumps for a few hours to look professional! In college one of my (male) professors who used to be on the hiring committee of a local district, said he hated seeing women in tight pencil skirts with cleavage and wearing gallons of perfume. I don't know if girls think they are going to impress the male principals but its not a date!:lol:

4. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Aug 25, 2010

What always annoyed me was when people would show up to job fairs in jeans, I mean come on seriously?! Once I was at a job fair and someone brought their family which included a squirmy toddler. I couldn't say I'd blame the kid for acting out it's hard enough being at a job fair as an adult.

5. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Aug 25, 2010

I graduated college in 2003 at the age of 22. My work attire up to that point was jeans, tank tops, and flip flop sandals. I worked on my college campus as an assistant in an office where this was the normal attire for an assistant in an office on campus.

Not saying that its ok for women mentioned in the previous posts to dress the way they do for interviews or job fairs, (in fact I agree that attire is what makes a good first impression) but just some insight into where they're coming from. After graduating college, I didn't exactly have the funds to purchase the best work/interview clothes because I was paying bills with what little money I had and had to quit my campus office job because it was only for enrolled students.

Making the switch from college student to working girl was hard on my fashion sense...I had to ask my parents for money for buy clothes suitable for work (out of college I worked in an office with "grown-ups"). I had to bring two people with me shopping to ask their advice if something I wanted to buy was suitable for work in an office. Sadly, they often gave me the thumbs down on many pieces of clothing that I liked. It wasn't till maybe 2 years ago I think I finally figured things out and that buying career clothes didn't necessarily mean I had to break the bank.

These people just need some guidance and to bring people with them to go shopping for an interview outfit. :thumb:

6. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Aug 25, 2010

I can not agree more. I am coming into teaching from the professional world, so I have worn suits every day for more than 13 years. However, there are PLENTY of ways to dress very professionally without a suit.
    In my previous dept I had to speak with the young hires about proper attire more times than I care to count. And this is for a company who at the time had a dark suit only dress code.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  7. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 26, 2010

I was a lot like this... I didn't own any professional clothing. I had worked since I was 15, but most of those were coaching and waitressing. However, I did know how to dress for an interview. I was BROKE when I was interviewing, but I made sure I had a suit. I got mine from TJ Maxx or Marshalls for pretty cheap, and looked very professional. This was one of the things that made me stand out to my staff... they were telling me that other girls that came in looking like they were right off the street. They were shocked by what these girls were wearing.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2010

I'm not sure that a decent looking skirt and sweater, say, would cost a whole lot more than a mini and one that shows lots of cleavage. And I found some great black pumps the other day for $19.99.

Everyone who has ever entered the professional work force from college has had to invest in clothes. And we all know it's a slow , expensive process.

But all you need is ONE interview outfit. I think it's probably one of the best investments you can make with some of those graduation gifts.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2010

...and then these candidates who dress as if they are going out 'clubbing' will lament how they can't get a break and they don't understand why they can't get a job. :eek: It's a tough market out there...experienced, highly-qualified teachers are in the market with new teachers. All candidates should be mindful of presenting a polished and professional appearance- from head to toe. Also good interview skills, well-written cover letter and resume, and knowledge about the district in which you are interviewing can help you stand out. (You wouldn't believe how many badly written packages my hiring commmittee has poured through, how many candidates arrive as if they have rolled out of bed or are going on a hot date after the interview, or have trouble verbalizing answers to questions.)

10. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Aug 26, 2010

I currently work in an office and I allow some of the business vocational students from my former high school to come shadow me at work. I have the teacher mention to them to dress professional--and it can be as simple as black pants, blouse, etc. I had 2 girls come in and they were dressed as if they were going to a club. 3" heels, tight dresses, etc. Yes, they are still in high school, but, its very inappropriate for a business AND for high schoolers to wear imo. I mentioned to the teacher (who is a close friend of mine) nicely that they were not exactly in business attire.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2010

Good for you, tiki.

It's something they need to hear. For many of them, the issue may simply be that it never occurred to them, and that no one ever spelled it out for them before-- especially high school kids.

12. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Aug 26, 2010

I speak to the high schoolers about working in an office and I dress in a suit, etc when I do my presentation (although I can wear jeans and a sweater to work if we don't have clients). I tell them then what is appropriate and what isn't. I guess they didn't listen.

I was embarrassed. I had them work in the back office closing out files, etc. as I did not want clients seeing them.

13. NCALIFTeacher

NCALIFTeacher Rookie

Aug 26, 2010

I wear what is considered as business casual; a nice pair of jeans, a nice top and a black suit jacket (I have several tops I alternate to mix it up); I'm not one who is comfortable wearing skirts or dresses so I dress according to what suits my personality. I've yet to come across any prospective applicant who dresses provocatively but I can see how that can be a problem. Sometimes you just have to live and learn.

On the flip side, I'd wondered if anyone has come across someone in the interviewing panel who dressed unprofessionally? Recently I'd interviewed for one district and was surprised to see the principal dressed in a cotton tank top, capri pants and flip-flops. Yes, it's summer--summer in California even!--but I thought her dress code was more appropriate for the grocery store than someone who was interviewing teacher candidates! I didn't let it show but I found both her dress code and behavior as aggravating! (she acted bored and indifferent the entire time and did not once contribute to the interview) The HR personnel was pleasant but I got the impression that she was going through the motions--interviewing applicants because someone told her to, and not because she needed to do it.

I felt good about my performance but I was relieved to have left the building, knowing that this particular district was not a "good fit" for me. Not by a long shot!

14. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 26, 2010

Do colleges offer any education to these newly graduates about job hunting? I think my college offer several workshops about resumes, cover letters, and job intervewing. I didn't attend any because I had switched careers so I felt confident about job hunting. I wonder if colleges should make it a must to young graduates to attend these workshops. It would be beneficial to them.

15. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2010

Not everywhere is not wearing a suit or wearing open toed shoes a deal breaker for a job. It depends on the area that you are interviewing in. I have never worn a suit or heels to a job interview and I have worked at 3 of the top schools in my area. I do not own stockings and have no intention of ever buying another pair. I live in a very laid back area--my principal only wears a suit once a year--for graduation.

16. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Aug 26, 2010

I think it comes down to wearing something that says professional for the area you are in. One of the reasons I wear full suits and heels when I dropping of resumes or interviewing, is that is what I wear to work so it is easier for me to slip out unnoticed :)
    Also, I own very little business casual. I seriously doubt my work out clothes or chasing my little girls at the park outfits would be appropriate (even if they are a lot more comfortable)!!!!

17. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 27, 2010

I don't think wearing a full suit is a must, although I do believe it would cause a great impression. I've not worn suits to interviews I've gone to and I've gotten job offers. I did, however, wore dress pants, dress blouse (no collar), a light coat, and dress shoes. I just wouldn't wear tight fitting clothes, very low cut tops, and very open sandal-type shoes.

18. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Aug 27, 2010

I don't think I've worn a full "power suit" type of outfit in my life. To job interviews/fairs I ususally wore a nice short sleeve jacket with black dress pants and professional looking ballet flats.
    I can't remember the last time I put on a pair of pantyhose. For school, I normally wear nice pants with an appropriate top and sometimes a dress that falls slightly below the knee.