implications and extensions of a lesson on language

Discussion in 'General Education' started by dy11685, Jul 12, 2010.

1. dy11685

dy11685 Rookie

Jul 12, 2010

What does it mean exactly when you are asked to provide extensions and implications for a lesson? I am a little unclear as to the exact definition

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2010

Hi and welcome!

I'm not sure of the exact definition. Check the notes your education prof gave in class.

But by extensions, I would imagine he or she means directions a curious kid might go for more information, or extras you might add in.

So, for example, when I'm teaching Real Numbers, I ALWAYS mention the imaginary numbers, even to my freshmen. There are always one or two who go home and google it, and find out a little more. It's not part of the syllabus, it's beyond what we're going over.

Implications are probably more along the lines of where this logicallly leads as a next lesson.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2010

extensions: how could you push kids further? What would follow on lessons be? What could early finishers do that is related to the lesson in question? Could kids do some reflecting in their notebooks on the lesson and share their thoughts? Class discussion/exit cards...

5. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Jul 12, 2010

Is this for curriculum? Czaza sounds right on the money for extensions: if you were to devote more time to the topic, what would the lessons be like, what assessments could you use, etc. Implications.. I'm not as sure about these, but I think it would be the enduring understandings, i.e. what are the goals of the lesson? how does it relate to curriculum? For example, it might be that students understand the causes of the civil war, and the impact of the civil war upon them today. Someone else may be able to describe it better.

6. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2010

I agree with all of the PP. They sound right on the money of how I would infer the meanings as well.