Implementing my own dress code

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lucybelle, Apr 13, 2012.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 14, 2012

I know it's a fine line to walk, and I do appreciate all the answers! That's why I came here, to see both sides of the situation;)

2. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2012

I think the "awkard position" comes more into play if a parent were to complain.

Like others have said, I do appreciate your standards...but I think you should attempt to have administration revisit the entire student dress code. :)

3. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 14, 2012

Yeah you guys are right. Thanks!

4. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Apr 15, 2012

Not every teacher has the same exact rules in their classroom as other teachers. Different teachers have different expectations and different ways they do things in their own room.
    I know there are things kids can do in my room that they can't do in other teachers rooms and vice versa. No 2 teachers are identical and I don't think there is anything wrong with students learning those differences.
    It is just like the rule in my class that students can not say "Oh my god". Some other teachers may allow it, but I don't. It is not something that ever has to go to administration, they have plenty of issues they have to deal with. And if a parent has an issue with it, they can come to me and I will explain it.

5. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Apr 15, 2012

Don't have a problem with it, but at my school

If you want to enforce it, go ahead, just get the backing of administration. My school says no spaghetti straps either, even if it's under a sweater or a hoodie. Now, personally, if you are wearing the sweater all day, why does it matter what is underneath. I have seen some teachers and administrators walk up to young ladies who are wearing a tank top with a sweater or jacket, zipped and buttoned halfway up, and they have asked the young lady to remove her sweater to see the shirt. Personally, this is an invasion of privacy, in my opinion. If you see it, then yes, enforce, but asking a young lady to remove her sweater to see if she's breaking dress code . . .

6. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Apr 15, 2012

Wow, I believe I have read on here of other instances like that as well. That is very wrong in my opinion. Asking a girl to remove a sweatshirt to see what she is wearing underneath could be labeled as harassment. At the same time, there is no reason for that. If the sweatshirt is allowed and they are going to keep it on, then get over your power tripping self. Again, just another example of arbitrary rules.

7. Justamom

Justamom Rookie

Apr 18, 2012

:thumb: As a parent, I love that you do this. It sets a higher standard and is to be commended.

I, personally, had one teacher in high school whose class was run like this. We respected her opinion more. When Mrs. **** complimented us on any small thing it held more weight. :wub: Even the "rebel" and "alternative" (1990's) kids who pretended not to care would be caught cracking a smile.

IMO, Preparing them for working in a professional environment, where their initial intelligence/competence will be judged based on their appearance, is invaluable.

Politically correct or not, it is reality.

8. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2012

Some people will be judged on the color of their skin, their physical appearance, or their gender. We should make sure they're prepared also. Some will also be based on their religion or their culture, so I suppose they should be prepared, even though it's not "politically correct".

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2012

Good points.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2012

I think it's important to note that the community where the OP lives has established norms for professional dress that aren't necessarily the same as the norms here.