Implementing a new word wall midyear

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Miss Kirby, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jan 3, 2006

I'm starting a second grade class midyear. I notice they do have a word wall up, but it's very ratty and disorganized. I bought the Four Blocks word wall for second grade and I plan on using this one. However, since they already started using a word wall, should I start out by finding those words that are already up and put up those? Or should I start over completely?

Also, I normally wanted to add five words a week. But since it's halfway through the school year, should I do more than that? I think too many would be too difficult.

I think I'll try to put up words from the Four Blocks word wall that match what they already have up. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

3. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Jan 3, 2006

I think I would put up the ones that are already up there and start from there. I would also look throughout the reading series and see what words may have been used and add some of those. Take it from there and see how it goes.

4. teacherchick

teacherchick Companion

Jan 3, 2006

I think you shhould put up the ones they already have and then start fresh whne you go in.

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 4, 2006

Maybe when you switch over you could start with a review of the words they already have. We do 6-7 words every two weeks, and any words that come up in their reading and writing that they're struggling with.