Immigration Lesson Plan

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by hm1107, Sep 23, 2011.

1. hm1107

hm1107 Rookie

Sep 23, 2011

I posted this in the fourth grade forum, also, but figured I would post it here as well. :)

I am doing my junior fieldwork, and I'm looking for a lesson on immigration that will be observed by my college supervisor. I only have 45 minutes, and although I have found some lessons that I like, they require more than 45 minutes. If anyone has any ideas or links that would help me, I would love to see them. Thank you!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2011

Take a look at the Ellis Island website. I bet that if you play around there a bit, something will occur to you.

For example, you can search their database of ships that passed through and get a passenger list for each.

4. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Sep 23, 2011

There is a cool virtual field trip to Ellis Island on the Scholastic website. I used pictures from the website to create a worksheet to go along with each stop on the trip. I had each student sit around the computer. With their worksheets on clipboards. We viewed and listened to the diff. Parts of the trip and the kids answered their questions as we went along. This was fourth grade and they loved it, especially the real pictures that are used and the sound files of people describing their experience at Ellis Island. Another idea would be to put together a power point of different pictures that represent immigration have the students view one picture at a time and make observations and write questions they have about the pictures. This is a great way to begin a unit on immigration. Still another way you could use pictures is to attach them to large poster sized papers and the kids walk around, view the pictures, and write their comments and questions right onto the posters. Their questions can be used to formulate later lessons or self guided inquiry.

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Sep 23, 2011

This is one of the best resources I have found covering immigration~ every lesson can be modified to fit just about every grade level, there are lessons for just about every length of class time and includes so many different types of assignments.

Here's the link

http://schools.nycenet.edu/offices/teachlearn/Immigration_4_final.pdf

Hope this helps :) Good Luck with your lesson

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2011

Awesome website!:thumb:

7. hm1107

hm1107 Rookie

Sep 26, 2011

Your ideas were just what I needed. Thank you all so much!