Images to "scare" kids? *Thread includes disturbing images*

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Rockguykev, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Mar 21, 2008

We had a presentation recently at our site by a member of the local sheriff's gang unit that opened my eyes to how naive I am. The images he showed us would shake up any 12 year old enough to at least get them to question their path. The problem is they were too graphic to use in a classroom.

I am trying to put together a slideshow of images showing kids what bad choices look like and what they can lead to. I have pictures of homelessness and people being arrested so far. What other images might I include?

3. kburen

kburen Cohort

Mar 21, 2008

What about pictures of what drugs can do to you? Like a picture of a "regular" brain and a brain on drugs next to each other? Or a picture of what teeth look like after....is it crack? Things like that should at least show the girls that they don't want to go down that path! I say girls because at that age they REALLY start to worry about what they look like, and I would imagine that they wouldn't want to look like that.

4. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Mar 21, 2008

Meth is the drug that dries your saliva and therefore rots your teeth. It also eats away at your skin. Google meth before and after and I guarantee your 12 year olds will pay attention to those pictures. Our DARE officer showed the pictures last month. Very effective - sounds like a good project.

5. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Mar 21, 2008

You might google images of babies with birth defects from drug use.

I would also include pictures of kids in poverty raising kids vs those that waited, and how their lives differ. Many kids today think they must go out and have kids at 15 or 16, or their life is over or no one will love them.

Oh, show picks of heroin addicts and what they look like, they always look steps away from death in a non gruesome way

Good luck finding your pictures, and if you don't mind I would love to see it when you are done. I teach psychology and will be doing a unit on life choices/drugs soon. I think a powerpoint of those images might help

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2008

I think those are all great ideas.

Whatever images you decide to use, be sure to run it past your principal first. I know you probably would anyway, but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case. I'd hate for a parent to freak out at what you showed their kid, at least not without principal back-up.

7. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Mar 21, 2008

Actually I'm of the "it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission" camp. So far in five years I've only had to ask once :p

Thank you all for the ideas, I'm hoping for a successful weekend of photo hunting (and maybe egg hunting...).

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 21, 2008

Those commercials that show what meth does to your face and teeth gross me out. I think they would gross anyone out. The hospital I used to work at had a smoking cessation program that met in the room next to my office. They would have a giant jar of some molasses/tar looking stuff that was supposed to show how much tar built up in your lungs after a certain amount of time. It was horrifying!

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 21, 2008

My DARE officer used a site that showed before and after pictures of 10 or so people that had been arrested for Crack and Meth. One was a teenager, all were dramatic (horrible skin, no teeth, skin and bones, etc). The teenager was a cheerleader and two years later she looked like it wasn't even the same person. Also, personal experiences. I have a picture of my cousin who was killed in a car accident (the picture is of the two of us at a family function a year or so before she died). The guy that hit her was high on Meth. I have pictures of me after my wreck with a drunk driver. For an assignment I had them go home and ask their family about a family history of anyone injured due to someone driving while intoxicated or under the influence. They were all very subdued after that assignment.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2008

Look up the story of Denise Wagoner. She drove while intoxicated. While she lives to tell her story, she is blind and deals with numerous other complications. So sad. Actually, I just showed it to my students Tuesday.

[​IMG]

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 22, 2008

I had no idea what I was looking at until I saw teeth. Horrific!

:(

12. becky

becky Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2008

They used to have DARE in the schools here. At the same time, there was a heroin crisis going on. On tbe bedroom wall of one of the kids who died from od-ing was a 'Heroin Kills' poster. The kids seem to think they are invincible.

13. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2008

You could try going with medical x-ray images as well. They tend to be less visually graphic in terms of actual blood, but still shocking.

For example, a kid who decided to light a firecracker and throw it, but just threw a little bit late.

[​IMG]